Misfortune Rising

The street below was rather empty, only a few pedestrians walking to and fro on the sidewalk and some cars and busses passing. My object of interest, the Police Station, stood across the street and had been uneventful for the past three to four hours. The sun shining down on me was on the brink of unbearable and since it didn't cast any shadows onto the flat rooftop I was perched on, I had no choice but to endure.

'Why do I have to cover Nya and Jay in case they get spotted? Probably just to stay occupied while the others do actually relevant things because no one wants to work with me.' I let out a sigh and wiped some sweat off of my forehead.

I'd been filled in on all the details of what exactly had happened. And it was just as bonkers as usual. A literal Djinn named Nadakhan, complete with all the unusual abilities you'd expect him to have, had framed the Ninja for various crimes which had lead to them being caught by Ronin and then being put into Kryptarium Prison. Along with that and stealing the Realm Crystal, Nadakhan had already managed to imprison Misako and Wu in his tea pot. All in all, a pretty impressive resumee for such a short amount of time.

Now, the reason I was sitting on a rooftop intently watching the Police Station was because Jay and Nya had gone undercover to retrieve whatever information they had on the Djinn. Meanwhile, Kai, Lloyd and Zane had went to look for the Bounty and any other stray clues leading to Nadakhan. Mainly because, as the pirate Soto had told us, they needed the venom of a black widow to stop him, and the map leading to the island it inhabited was on Nadakhans ship; Misfortunes Keep. And since it was also the most likely place for the Realm Crystal to be, my best interest for now was to tag along with them.

Then again, the reason we were split into groups of three in the first place was because, although we were looking for him, being alone with the Djinn would be almost certain demise and most likely lead to the same fate as Misako and Wu.

Finally something happened, although it was only a bunch of policemen and women leaving the building, Jay and Nya amongst them. Judging from the way the sun beat down on me, my best guess was that it was around noon and that their lunch break had started. I decided to discretely follow the crowd.

Jay and Nya sort of split off from the main group and decided to get lunch at a food truck with only few of their ''colleagues'' in the area. After they'd sat down with their food trays, I decided to wait a few minutes to ensure I wouldn't be spotted by any cops and then stepped into the shadows to walk up to them.

Just as I'd reached them, Nya had put a friendly hand on Jay's shoulder and a sorry expression on her face and, even though I hadn't overheard their conversation, even I could feel the awkward tension in the air. I stepped out of the shadows behind Jay.

''Hey.''

The two of them flinched, Jay accidentally spilling some ketchup on his shirt and turning around with wide eyes before slouching down as soon as he saw me.

''Am I interrupting something?'' I asked, unsure what to make of the situation.

''No, not at all!'' Nya said quickly.

''Haha, yeah, nothing at all. Zip, nada, zilch. Nothing important to be interrupted here.'' Jay chuckled awkwardly and picked at his gi anxiously.