Nothing Lasts

Title from Nothing Lasts by Bedroom

...

I froze. Not a single muscle in my body moved despite my racing thoughts and heart that was beating against my chest.

''Are you gonna say something or what?'' I was still leaning against the wooden door, the muffled voice barely reaching me.

''At least make your stay entertaining for me.''

Gaining a little control over myself, I managed to answer. Or at least tried my best.

''...uh. I-I...W-what am I supposed to say?'' I stuttered, still not sure as to why I wasn't running away.

''You could beginn by telling me why you just suddenly appeared and started yelling.''

''I-I'm not sure a-about t-that.''

''I've never even seen you before, what do you have to lose?''

''Well what do you have to gain by me telling you?''

''Your presence would't be as much of a nuisance and I won't kill you...maybe.''

''Who knows, maybe I'll kill you.'' I heard them chuckle.

''Sure.''

''Are you doubting me?''

''Yes. Yes, I am.''

''Why not come out of there and we'll see about that, huh?''

I didn't know where I'd suddenly gotten this rush of confidence. My muscles had relaxed and I was pretty calm now, despite the fact that I was talking with someone I didn't know anything about except for the fact that they were a sassy lil bitch.

''Although I'd love to, I'm currently not in the mood for a fight or get out of this cabin.''

''So that's your way of telling me you're a little pussy?'' It was quiet for a second and I felt fear rushing through me once more.

'Was that too much? What if they could actually kill me? This is an abandoned graveyard after all, and I'm sure the people who think it's fun to hang out here probably aren't the sanest you will meet.'

A dark chuckle eerily through the air, making a shiver run down my spine.

''I like your attitude.''

'Okay, I'm good.' I leaned my head against the door and began picking at random clumps of grass growing out of the floor.

''So. Start talking.''

''It's...because of one big shithead. Well, because of three big shitheads. Two of them are just ignoring me and not accepting me as part of the group and the third one just blames me for everything going wrong in his life. They're full of shit but it's not like I can go somewhere else.''

''And why is that?''

''Cause I've been homeless all my life and it's not like I'll go back to living on the streets just because I don't get along with some people.''

''Sucks to be you.''

''...aren't you gonna give me some advice or what?''

''I wanted to know why you were raging out there, not be your advice column.''

''Geez, thanks.''

It was silent for a while after that and I closed my eyes, listening to the wind howling through the leaves.