Wishmasters

Word Count: 9600

...

I stared down at the two daggers and gently traced over the scale details of their sheaths. Slowly, I unsheathed one of them and tilted the blade from side to side, seeing the way the darkened metal reflected the light of our cheap lamps. They were polished clean; Ronin had kept them in good condition. In fact, they looked just as new and shiny as when I had first found them.

I was sitting on the counter of the register with my legs dangling off the edge while Ronin was rummaging around somewhere in the background. After we'd arrived back at Ninjago City, the sun was already beginning the rise again and, upon promising we'd be back, the two of us had left the Ninja and police force behind to take a quick trip to Ronin's shop.

So now here we were, him making sure everything was in order and I left to try and put on my old daggers.

With a deep breath, I put them next to me on the countertop and started taking off the knife holsters I was currently wearing. Once they were off, I dropped them on the counter as well and then took my old ''new'' daggers. The leather straps felt cold as I fastened them tight.

Sooner than I was comfortable with, they were strapped on and I stood up, trying to get accustomed to the way they felt on my legs. It was comfortingly familiar and somehow, it was like a missing part of me had been returned and I was whole again.

And although they were still a nice weight, they felt lighter than I had remembered.

A whistling Ronin walked into the main area of the shop and closed the door behind him, then turned around to see me standing in front of the register with my former daggers. He looked down at them once, then back up again and I saw a smile tugging at his lips.

''You ready to go save Ninjago again?''

I returned the smile in full vigor and nodded.

''Let's do it, old man.''

Ronin's smile turned into a playful scoff.

''Don't make me re-evaluate whether your bedroom needs a makeover.''

''You wouldn't dare.'' I replied back and grabbed my now-former daggers off the counter and threw them in a random crate, just to get them out of the way.

''Don't trust yourself on that one.''

The two of us walked out of the shop and Ronin locked the door behind him. Rex was already parked in front of the shop, a bit inconvenient directly on the sideway and a bunch of pedestrians were already throwing angry glares our way but we didn't really care. The fate of an entire country rested partially on our shoulders, we should be able to disregard a few rules on parking, right?

As we entered Rex, Ronin ruffled through my hair.

''I'm proud of you, kid.''

''You better be, old man. And stop ruffling my hair!''

------------------------------------------

The place we went to was on the outskirts of Ninjago, a big storage-hall-looking building in the middle of an area of movie sets. It was mostly empty except for one team that must've somehow insisted on filming despite the fact Ninjago was literally falling apart and rising into the sky.

We entered through a back door and could immediatly hear voices somewhere in the distance. Before we could get to them, though, we first had to find our way through a bunch of cameras and other filming equipment, chairs and props.