The Overlord's Attack

The first day after that I remembered the scroll I'd snatched from Ronin that was now dusting away in my closet. I spent the rest of the day in the library, trying to decode the ominous looking symbols. In the end, the library closed without me noticing it, meaning I was locked in there. Needless to say, I got home that day somewhere after midnight and left the library staff to deal with a broken window.

The second day I spent on trying to learn the technique, but that wasn't easy. After all, shadow travel, or rather shadow step since it turned out I could only use it for a short distance and not everywhere, was an elemental power. I think that one grey guy had it, couldn't remember his name. Returning to the present, it'd now been three days since the rocket had launched into space and I was getting more nervous day by day.

--------------------------

Focusing on the task at hand, I recalled the symbols on the scroll, trying shadow step one more time.

I could feel myself slipping, dark dots surrounding my vision and making it hard to see. Yet suddenly, it was all over and the feeling that weighed my guts down slipped away. I blinked in confusion and saw that I was still standing where I was before. I sighed.

'This must mean that I actually managed to step into the shadows, yet I didn't move an inch. Just great...Okay, this time actually start walking by the time you slip into shadows, (Y/N).'

Concentrating on the shade that was thrown on me, I felt myself cross the line between light and dark, the black dots returning to blur my vision.

I didn't know where I was headed, I simply started running, trying not to lose focus and slip back into the light. The black dots began closing in on my vision, making me temporarily go blind, yet that didn't stop me from running forward. The wall I ran into did.

I immediatly returned to the real world, clutching my forehead where a bump would probably appear soon. ''Wait...I shadow traveled! Or shadow stepped! Fuck yes, finally!'' I jumped up and threw my hands in the air out of excitement. ''This means I can finally-'',

I was interrupted by the ground shaking and multiple screams in the distance.

''What...is this? An earthquake?'' But I knew in the back of my head that it wasn't, yet I couldn't put my finger on it.

I started running, taking sharp turns left and right, trying to navigate through the maze of alleys in an attempt to find whatever had caused the disruption. Although my stamina had notably improved over the past few weeks, I was still out of breath by the time I had reached an open street where Nindroids were wreaking absolute havoc.

''God damn...that's a lot of damage.'' I said to myself quietly as I watched the entire city be invaded by said Nindroids, terrorising the citizens of Ninjago which were frantically trying to run away and get themselves to safety.

'Although I usually don't, maybe I should help the people. Only to practice my fighting skills, of course.' Jumping down the roofs and rolling over myself to soften the fall, I immediatly drew three of my throwing knives and hit three of them directly in the eye.