17.

Noor's POV

"It was a mistake." The three words that shattered my heart along with the living hope of us having a happily ever after. Those words haven't left my mind for a second as we travel back to the cottage in car that Bade papa sent after searching for us for hours. He realsied we had gotten stuck in the forest when Sameer reported to him that we rode towards the forest and sent help.

Stanley is being brought back by one of the workers on the stable.

I can't help but recollect what happened when I woke up, it was evening and Zaan was already awake staring outside the window. He seemed to have developed a habit of it. I got up slowly, trying to ignore the pain in my pelvis and stand slowly. I was still in his shirt that he made me wear after our love making, I can't help the blush creeping up my face even know. I had gone to him and hugged his behind sighing after finally reaching my home, I had known years ago that he was my home.

"It was a mistake. A loss of control over my hormones. I promise it won't happen again", he had muttered with steely eyes and firm voice. It sounded like I was a one-night-stand. I was shook, to the core. I froze and retracted my hands looking up in his eyes for the love that shone in them just hours ago as we reached the peak of orgasm. But they were blank, pushing me further into the darkness that seemed to engulf me after I heard his words. I didn't react, I couldn't afford to lest I begin bawling my eyes out. I just nod and turn around to wear my clothes. After I changed, we were about to climb back on Stanley when the car appeared.

I was happy I wouldn't have to be in his proximity when I saw the car, I can't think straight when he is close to me. He said this was a mistake when I can bet my life it was as special for him as it was for me. Then what compelled him to force those words out? I knew he forced them out by the way his jaw was clenched while saying them. There is some loophole. Something that I am missing out on. I can't get emotional now if I want to reach the bottom of this well. And I promise I will.

I come out of my thoughts when the car stops. I turn my head to see the family standing outside.

"Meri bachi (My daughter), are you fine? You didn't get hurt right?", taima rushes to me hugging me.

"Come on taima, what would happen to me when your son was with me?", I whisper smiling as she grins back.

"Ofcourse, how could I forget my son would never let something harm you", she chirps happily and our eyes connect at that moment, his eyes trying to hide but I can see the words clearly in them

I can prevent others from harming you but not myself.

I want to hug him and tell him his words didn't hurt me but that would be a lie, moreover I have a more important task of finding out the truth behind his aloofness.

So I turn towards the others that are hugging me one after another and smile at their care. That's family for you, they just fuss too much. I just shake my head and barely manage to get out of their hold and go towards my room to change. I don't plan on having dinner, I inform Mama about it and just go to sleep.

Next morning, Dawer.

"Zaan probably did not tell you because you were sleeping and you looked exhausted. "

" Yeah, that's why." I give her a small smile as we all settle down in bade papa's car. Papa and him on the front whereas taima, Mama and me in the backseat. Apparently, Zaan went back home yesterday night. What they don't know is he wouldn't tell me even if I was awake.

The food packets were distributed today in the early morning and we all decided to head back.

From what I understand, I know Zaan likes me if not love. I can feel its in his gaze, then why would he say it was a mistake to consummate our marriage.  He is holding back emotions, everytime I feel like he wants to say something but he won't. There has to be a reason. Think Noorie. And think fast.

"Noorie, where are you lost beta. It's been hours since you are sitting there like a statue with that thinking face."

"Nothing Mama. Just thinking about studies and stuff."

She cocks a brow at me meaning she doesn't believe the shit I just spewed. I just and hake my head.

I think we will reach home in a few minutes. After that, I will go to Ashfa's place to talk to her about this.

Just as I am getting down the car in Durrani Mansion, I receive a text from the most unexpected person. My husband.

' If you have reached, come to the Knight's Café in the next half an hour. Waiting for you here with someone. '

Please don't tell me he is going to introduce some girl friend of his to me now. I know he can go to any extent if he sets his mind on it. But Zaan, I am also your wife. I won't let anything get in between us. I smile sadly at that thought. When will we both live like a normal couple? Soon, Inshallah.

"Bade papa, can I take the car with me. Zaan texted me to come to a café. He wants to introduce me to a friend or something. "

"Oh, you don't have to ask beta. Go ahead and enjoy you day", he says patting my head and goes into the house. Everybody leaves and I take the driver's seat. Let's see what he is upto now.

Fifteen minutes later, I am parked outside Knight's place. I go into the buzzing cafe and instantly spot my man in a brown button-down shirt with jeans and his sunglasses beside him. My heart skips a beat at his hotness. When will I get over his hotness? I walk over to him and it's now I notice a guy sitting beside him.

He is in a business suit with a briefcase in hand. I am surprised to say the least. Zaan gets up and pulls a chair for me.

" Noor, this is my close friend Razak Abdullah. And Razak, my wife. "

"Salam! Nice meeting you bhabhi."

"Wassalam! It nice to see you too" I smile politely. I am yet to find out the objective behind this meeting.

Come on Noorie, stop being sceptical. He could be introducing you to his friend.

Could be. But this is my Zaan we are talking about. He never does anything without an objective.

"I heard you are studying medicine bhabhi. Must be difficult to manage with this crackhead of a friend of mine." He says and I laugh out. Zaan shoots him a warning glare.

" Oh it is. Trust me. It is", I say dramatically to receive a chuckle from his friend.

"What do you do for a living  Razak bhai?"

"I am a lawyer bhabhi. I work in the family court."