1.

Suman Malik.

I gasp in surprise as I hear the tearing sound, God forbid if it's my sharara. No, this can't be. Gaddi Nasheen bought this for me, I can't lose it! Fear strikes me as I slowly turn to my right, trying to grasp the hem of my kurti.

Phew!! Thank God the fabric did not tear away, but the stitching did get stretched. I grab the piece holding it close to my body as I walk towards the mirror and readjust the dupatta so that the sheen of the veil covers the distorted fabric.

My hair was neatly put, so I adjust the dupatta on my head and walk towards the exit only to hear gasps from the other end of the hallway as I open the doors

My hair was neatly put, so I adjust the dupatta on my head and walk towards the exit only to hear gasps from the other end of the hallway as I open the doors. Zaima and the squad of maids assigned to escort me to the 'Shahi-Maqan' where all the royal events are held, seem awestruck, as if lightning struck them. I shook my head, rolling my eyes at their dramatic responses.

"Allah Kasam Mallika-e-Khilb! Aap ko dekte hi koi bhi keh sakta hai ki aap hi hai Mallika-e-Khilb! Pure Khilb ki aurtein is baat ka ehtaram karengi ke apke ilawa koi bhi aurat is taqt ko itni khubsurati se nahi sambhal sakti", gushes my head maid.

"Shukriya Sakeena, pure Khilb ki aurtein is baat ka bhi ehtaram karengi ki Mallika-e-Khilb aap ke bina adhuri hoti. Jitni shiddat se apne Khilb ki sewa ki hai, mai bhi shayad nai kar paungi. Aur agr ap logo ki tareef hogai ho to tashreef rakhe dawat me? Kyuki apni dawat me mai deri se nahi jana chahti."

Zaima hugs me, her eyes shining with pride as we quickly make our way towards the entrance of the banquet hall. I marvel at the splendid extravagance of this humongous place and the mughali influence in it's architecture always steals my breath.

But what ceases my heartbeat is the man standing in a perfect tuxedo eluding pure malevolence and by his scent I can tell he has just had a shower, right after his physical exercise. Everything about him screams perfection and why not? He is the Gaddi Nasheen!

The gentle crease on his forehead while he is going through his phone and the slight crookedness of his nose is my favourite part of his face. He senses my gaze and lifts his head, giving me a once over and no! Not like my husband of two years, just like my cousin brother who has protected me all his life.

Whoa! Kya kismat payi Summi! Nevertheless, I smile at him, accepting his extended hand as  I link my arms with him. My fingers grip his muscles, enough to feel them ripping beneath his shirt and wallahi does it elicit a ripple along my nether region.

"Assalamualaikum! Masha Allah aap pyari lag rahi hai Suman. Kaha tha na is saal bhi apki outfit tahalka macha degi", I smile in glee at his slightly bent self as he whispers in a candid deep voice that produces unwanted effects in my body.

With aligned hands, and in a professional look we walk into the banquet hall and the chatting freezes, all eyes turning at us just as we enter and Fayaz does his signature Salam to his people. There's something more than grace in his gesture, not just a royal exuberance but also his body language showcases that he is greeting his family. Like he knows each one of them personally, like he has known them all his life.

How he manages to be this humble, enough to make his people comfortable but also give off the 'I am the Gaddi Nasheen' look is beyond me. I am amazed, absolutely in love with the charisma of him. The male and female sections are separated by a partition, Gaddi Nasheen guides me towards my seat in the ladies section.

Girls gasp just by looking at him, some even gape while elderly women gush at his smile. Women of all age groups seem starstruck as he waits until I settle down, and he adjusts the fleece of my dupatta and steps down to take his rightful place opposite me in the men's section.

I then get occupied while interacting with women, and lose track of time while talking to them and recieving so many prayers. Most of them, along the lines of

'Allah aapko jald aulad se nawaze'

'Allah apko har neeyamat ada kare'

'Allah apki jodi zindagi bhar ke liye salamat rakhe'

And the third one took me to a parallel universe, a parallel reality where there is only me and him and nobody else.

I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts when Zaima grabs my hand, directing me towards the dining area where already the women were sitting ready to begin eating.

"Shab-e-Mehraj Mubarak sabko. Do hafton me Ramadan ka pehla roza hoga aur sehri isi jaga Gaddi Nasheen aur Pir khandaan ke taraf se hogi. Aap sab zarur ayen. Aur ek khush khabri aur hai, meri behen Huda jo Berlin me pad rhi thi wo laut rhi hai Eid par. Umeed hai aap sab unse milne ka intezaar karenge", I smile at everyone and gesture them to start eating.

It's not just an announcement, it's a move. To familiarise people with her name, to make them aware about her presence. Even though she grew up in Khilb but we sisters were never exposed publically since our father was a commoner and it's always been the Pirs to rule the Gaddi.

And this time when she returns, she would be the new Mallika-e-Khilb! Rightfully so, because Gaddi Nasheen loves beyond measures. I know the people might get upset, so it's a political move. I am trying to minimise the collateral damage that my wedding with Gaddi Nasheen would bring upon her.

Zaima settled beside me and after reciting the dua, we all begin eating.

"Dimag to khub ladaya hai Summi. Magar dhyan rahe log itne bhi bewakoof nahi hai. Tum chahe kitna bhi Huda ko inse waqif karane ki koshish karlo, lekin wo usko sirf Mallika-e-Khilb ki behen ka darja de sakte hai. Jo tum jaga Dena chahti ho, wo kabhi nahi apnayenge use."

I smile at her, "Zaima meri jaan, phir tum mujhe nahi janti. Suman Malik hu mai, agar Khilb ke logo ko apne Dil ka hissa bana sakti hu, to unke dil me Huda ke liye jaga bhi."

She scoffs, giving me an eye roll discreetly so the rest of the women don't notice, "Har baar ki tara is baar bhi tum apna hissa Huda ke naam karogi aur wo khushi khushi le bhi legi"

I wish, I wish Huda meri jaga le rhi hai. Sach to ye hai ki jaga to maine li.

"Nahi janam, jaga to maine li hai. Agar khala apni aakhri saans lete waqt ye nikaah na karwati to mai kabhi yaha na hoti. Mere dil itna chota nhi hai Zaimi, ke mai apni jaga bhul jau."

She squeezed my hand in sympathy but what she doesn't know is I have a plan for myself after all this is over. A life that I would build for myself, even if it doesn't involve Gaddi Nasheen.