5.

Hooriya.

"Hooriya! Why are you so late beta? And where is Asad. I thought you guys went together. Come in fast, it gets colder in the nights" The concern is clear in Abbaji's voice. After wandering around in the streets of Vijayapet like the lost soul I am until I gathered my thoughts back and decide on what to do next, it was late in the night. I thought Asad would be home by now, but guess he has more important things to do.

"Abbaji, he got an important call in the middle of shopping so I insisted him to get it done. I was a little lost after that, since I am new here. I had to take help from a taxi driver to get back to the haveli so I got late." It was not a complete lie.

He nods ushering me to go to my room and get changed. I hope the dinner has already been made because I am not in the right state of mind to cook. Once I come down me and Abbaji have a silent dinner without his son ofcourse. I am thankful for his absence, I don't want to see his face.

The next day comes with a bright start since I dreamt of my family. I miss them but I also know this is not the right time to visit. I walk in Abbaji's room to give him his morning tea.

He takes the cup and begins sipping, "Abbaji, I heard Saif saying you are taking a tour of the village today. To meet and talk to the poeple. If you don't mind, can I please join you? I want to learn more about the place, moreover I get bored at the haveli."

Abbaji laughs at my childish tone, increasing my hope of receiving his consent.

"I have you warned beta. You might be bored between us old people discussing life in general and the weather. If you want, I will ask Saif to take you on a detour and brief you about the village"

"It would be nice. But I want to meet them with you. This place is mine now. I want them to have that sense of belonging towards me. Which will happen only if I go with their favorite Sarpanch"

He laughs again, "Favourite Sarpanch? I like the sound of that."

I settle down beside him excitedly to tell him about yesterday.

"Oh yes! Favorite is a small word. All I could hear yesterday on the streets was praises for Sarpanch Saleem. The vendors went on about how the hygiene in the village has attracted more customers, the traders were just one step away from worshipping you for the treaty with Sarjung, even the passersby spoke highly of their generous Sarpanch who has developed Vijayapet more in the last ten years than all the previous ten Sarpanchs combined" I rambled happily. I can see Abbaji's eyes shining in mirth, the satisfaction of having done his job right.

"And I wanted to stop and tell each one of them how I am your daughter. That's my Abbaji people, there is next to nothing he can't do right. It was such a happy feeling, I m so glad you chose me to be your daughter Abbaji." I say in a I-am-your-biggest-fan tone and he smiles wide, the kind that reaches your eyes, the kind that feels complete. That's what i wanted to do. Bring out his real smile.

"Okay beta. Your buttering just worked and I am taking you with me." He says and I jump in victory as if I have won a lottery. Well, I did. It would be so much fun to talk to people of Vijayapet. I happily walk out of his room only to come face to face with my beloved husband.

I mean I must have been something special for God to have chosen me to be his wife. I keep a blank face and walk past him, ignoring the thudding of my heart and the sweat beads coating my spine I would say I did a pretty good job at ignoring him.

An hour later, I am in the car in seated on the  passenger seat with my dearest husband by my side behind the wheel. Like how did I not think he could also be coming. Obviously Abbaji and Saif sat in his jeep and thrust me into the hands of this monster.

The air seems suffocating, I can faintly make out the scowl on his face for unnecessarily having to deal with me. I am not enjoying the ride either, buddy.

I turn the radio on, it is streaming a nice Bollywood song from the 90s. I place my head against the window looking outside at the greenery.  I frown as the music stopa and I turn to see Mr.Khadoos has stopped the radio. Ugh!

What is his problem? I turn the button again, and he offs it after two minutes. This time I shift away from the window rubbing my hands for a fight if that's what it comes down to, but I will listen to the song. Before I turn the button again, the car stops. I look out to see Abbaji has already come out of his jeep. A group of people form  a circle around him. I get down the car and walk towards Saif. He has been pushed away from Abbaji and I giggle at his expression.

"Aise lute hue aashiq ki tarah kyun khade hain Saif sahab?" I question humbly. His expressions turn more sorrowful.

"Dekhiye na bahurani. Har wakt saath main hota hun lekin jaise hi apne log dekhliye, meri taraf mudke bhi na dekhe Sarpanch ji" He acts as if he has been robbed off his inheritance.

I giggle again at his acting, "Aaj ke liye aap Sarpanch ji ko bhul jayen. Aur mujhe dikhaate rahiye aapka gaon. Ek baat aur, just call me Hooriya. I am younger than you."

He bows slightly, keeping a hand on his chest "Jo hukum bahurani."

Just then Abbaji beckons me towards him, Asad is also standing beside him talking to few people. I can see the women gawking at him like a piece of meat. I go towards Abbaji and he introduces me to the people as his son's wife. I am nervous. What if they don't accept me because i am a Sarjungi.

One of the men smiles bowing slightly, "Salaam bahurani. Shaadi Mubarak"

I smile politely thanking him. After that a few more men and women  interact with me giving me the ins and outs of Vijayapet traditions.

All this while, my husband did not even spare me a glance once, he even spoke to those girls with interest. I can help but pout, is he ever going to accept me? Huge no.

I try to divert my mind at what Saif is saying, he took the briefing of the village a little too seriously. By the end of the day, I am sure I will know more about Vijayapet than anyone else.