7.

Nazanin Abbas.

"This is not done Naaz. You were supposed to bring the signed consent letter today. And here you didn't even tell your mothers about it? How could you be so irresponsible? This is the biggest and final trip of our lives. The most exciting time of the year, and here you are being a sloth bear," Usman says exasperated.

Apparently, everyone from our group got the consent letters signed and are depositing the money for the three day trip to Mumbai. And I completely forgot about it, hence their sulking faces. Gosh, I have more pressing issues that need my instant attention and these people can't stop hovering around me. I tilt my neck trying to see if Dani is here yet. It's already lunchtime and he hasn't yet come, because he would text me if he had come. Usually, he doesn't miss more than two periods when he has presentation. Lunch is after fourth.

"Guys, I am thinking of skipping the trip this time. I am not in the mood, really!" Three gasps and two jaws on the floor. I roll my eyes at their response, sweeping them in the cafeteria again. No luck.

"Are you high?", Samaira comes closer trying to sniff me.

"Are you not well?", this one was Kabir. Come on man, be more creative.

"Guys, it's no big deal", I say trying to ignore their questioning gazes.

Usman recovers from his shock, then narrows his eyes at me, "There is something wrong because no way in the whole wide world would you willingly give up on school trips. Tell us, what happened?"

Why is he being so nosy, my patience is already hanging by a thin thread as it is. Before I could spin a lie, everybody's attention shifts to the door when it opens revealing a talk and muscly Dani strutting towards our table with his backpack on his shoulders and his phone in hand. Damn, he looks hot.

He walks to our table waving at our friends, he has yet to look my way while I grab my thighs in anticipation. But I am not going to talk to him, he didn't get me my breakfast today. It's as if he has forgotten I exist. Like, what the hell?

Stop being a spoilt brat Niny! It's just breakfast. He didn't have his own for God's sake.

By the time I come out of my wandering thoughts, he has already grabbed a chair and takes the empty place across from me. Just as he sits, and I am about to retrieve the extra lunch box I got with me for him from home, Zara pops up at our table.

She smiles ruefully at us while grinning at Dani, my Dani. You get the gist? Bitch, you 'bout to go down!!

"Hey Dani, thank you so much for helping me with the concepts yesterday. That was a huge favour you pulled on me", she says as if he just gave his kidney to her.

And what did she call him? Dani? Oh boy, she just signed her death sentence.

"That's Dani for you, always helping the needy", Rehana pipes in.

Before Dani could day anything, she opens her back and pulls out an aluminium foil wrapped in something.

Before I could shoot her, mentally that is, she opens her huge alligator mouth, "Here, I got these phalli ki puri for you." She places the whole thing in his hand and he smiles at her.

"Zara, you didn't have to. It was not necessary at all, I was just doing what any other classmate would do", he speaks respectfully not making much eye contact with her.

"I insist Dani. After all, they are your favourite. Right?" She asks like it's a million dollar question and her wrong guess might be the death of her.

"Yes, thanks." He says. Time to enter the battle zone, Niny.

"How do you know his favorite food, Zara? Are you stalking him?", I ask her with a smile but I am sure nobody missed the condescending tone under my soft smile.

Zara just shrugs, "In grade 9, during the English SEA activity he had mentioned it to the entire class as part of the activity. I just remember. By the way, Dani do you want the notes the classes you missed today?"

Fuck. Backfired.

Which activity was that? Heck, I wouldn't even remember what his favourite food was if we didn't practicality live together.

I don't know what he responded to her because I was in a world of my own. This girl, remembers what he casually mentioned three years ago, and I don't even remember the last time he ate his favourite food. How is that possible? Is my memory too bad? But then I can mug up all the answers just two days before exams.

Then, does that mean I take everything about Dani very casually? More importantly, why would she remember such a trivial detail about Dani? Is it only her or all the girls remember that?

I turn to Samaira, "Hey Sam! Did you also remember Dani mentioning that?" I whisper in her ears and she gave me a perplexed look, then shrugging and saying of course.

When I look back up, Zara is handing over her books to Dani who seems like he wants to protest. So I butt in, trying to help him out,"Zara it's fine. Dani is the topper of our class, he knows his stuff all too well. I am sure he can catch up."

"Or he could take notes from Naaz", Samaira says continuing to munch her chips.

Zara's lips twitch in amusement, as she turns to ask me, "Tumne notes likhna start kar diya hai Naaz?"

Shit. Everyone knows I am too lazy to write notes. That's when Dani looks up at me and seeing my sheepish expression he knows that I didn't write the notes today as well. His eyes reflect the disappointment he feels at that. But he doesn't say anything to her, he doesn't defend me when her mocking was clear as daylight.

Who is he and what did he do with my Dani?

Nevertheless, I give her back the same tight lipped smile," Agar zarurat padi, to main khud Dani ke liye notes likh kar dungi, tumhe takalluf karne ki zarurat nahin." With that I get up from my chair, leaving my untouched food on the table and walking out. I have lost my appetite, and my peace.

All thanks to Zara. No, how could I forget the infamous Danish Mustafa.

I move towards the next just as the bell, but before entering I rummage my bag for a pen and finally find one. I get my notebook and get into the class. I need to take those damn notes.

Just you wait Zara, let's see who tops this time.