Prologue.

"Saeeeeeed!" A huge scream resonates  amidst the sound of gunshots and running feet. Frantic movements, haphazard trails and with highly equipped ammunition, the soldiers are trying to maneuver out of the warehouse alive. But it's not easy, considering they were trapped. Unit alpha recieved information about a terrorist hiding in this faraway, low-key warehouse. So they arrived here fully armed expecting a couple of men, but were greeted with a battalion.

Commander Walid, the head of their unit had immediately ordered them to fire back the moment bullets began raining on them. With the way they were being attacked, he knew this was planned to kill his unit. He curses himself for not investigating the guy further who left them the tip. But it's too late now.

"Charlie 705, connect to the headquarters. Asap", he shouts in his walkie that begins beeping. Two seconds later a red dot appears on it indicating the signal has been connected.

A gruff voice comes from the other side, "Charlie 705, received Sir. Location traced to a warehouse close to the military camp in LoC. What is the emergency?" Walid dodges a bullet, bending below a wooden table.

"We have been attacked. Need back up, in two minutes. And send along the paramedics, there is going to be casualty. Code 4B, I repeat; code 4B. Unit Alpha", he speaks as fast as he could, tucking the walkie back into his waist.

Code 4B is an emergency cryptic message implying the situation is extreme, and the order of the commander should be processed in seconds. It also demands more weapons for help.

His right command Saeed swings before him after throwing a wide wooden chop box to dodge the bullet that was coming his way. Walid widens eyes, Saeed just saved his life.

"Sir, five'o clock, right", he speaks hitting the barrel of his gun on the man's head. They were all wearing black masks, making it easier to identify them. Walid instantly moved in the said direction, just in time sverwing away from the knife. He bends his hand, breaking his bone, then kicks his guts. He falls on the ground unconscious.

The bloodbath continues to pour and half of the men from both sides are already on the floor when a jeep with probably his men parks up outside. The activity siezes in the room, all looking up at window to see who has arrived. Then next minute, boots crunching against the concrete are heard and back up Walid asked for enters.

Walid continues to fight, two men coming on him with knives. Another one at a meter's distance takes the aim at him, but the bullet was not meant for him. The next second a body drops down on the ground with a groan.

"Saeeeed", Walid shouts, his rage doubling over as he sees his best friend cum brother in a pool of his own blood. He kills the two men with his gun, running towards his dying brother. Walid's hands are shaking, his rationale sense having deserted him.

While Saeed is at the brink of losing consciousness, this time to never open his eyes again. He knows it, he can feel it in his bones as life is being sucked out of him. He starts murmuring the kalima as Walid takes him on his back running out of the damned warehouse and towards the paramedical vehicle standing there.

Just as he places him in the stretcher, and the doctors swarm around them, Saeed clasps Walid's hand who has tears streaming down his eyes now. He is not having a good feeling about this, something is going terribly wrong and he is terrified.

Walid bends on his knees, moving closer to his mouth, "Wa...walid, apna saath yahin tak tha yaar", he is struggling to speak and Walid wants to tell him to stop speaking but he is afraid, terrified that this will be the last time he speaks.

"Nai, bakwaas na kar Saeed. Tune wada kiya tha, ham jeeyenge bhi saath aur marenge bhi saath. Tu dhoka nai de sakta mujhe. Tujhe theek hona hoga, mere liye na sahi, us bache ke liye jo Zara ki kok mein hai." Walid is speaking too fast, the doctors are attaching tubes to his chest and an oxygen mask on his mouth but his breath seems to be stuck.

Saeed coughs out blood, his blood pressure is dropping down. He closes his eyes for a second as the pain gets unbearable but Walid shakes him up, "Saeed! Saeed mere bhai jaga reh. Tujhe kuch nahin hoga, doctor. Doctor isse kuch nahin hona chahiye, Saeed. Saeed sun tune kya kaha tha aaj subah. Haan? Tune shart lagai thi na Zara se ki tumhe beti hi hogi. Us beti ko akela chod dega is jungle mein? Saans le Saeed. Tujhe lena hoga. Warna main nai maaf karunga tujhe kabhi."

He keeps rambling going on and on. The nurses try to get him off the patient, telling him he needs attention too. But he wouldn't budge.

Saeed squeezes his hand, trying to calm him down. Walid looks down at him, more tears streaming down his eyes, "Bh...bhai, Zara s...se kehna main uska intezaar karunga. Koi taqat hamein phir milne se nahin roq sakti. Ye uske shohar ka waada hai, au.. aur tu..", he coughs again, more blood coming out this time.

Walid speaks for him, sobbing like a child, "Haan main jaanta hun, Tum Abbasi kabhi apne wadon se nahin mukarte. Main janta hun Saeed par bhai un dono ko teri zarurat hai, mujhe teri zarurat hai. Agar tu jaa raha hai, to mujhe bhi saath le chal, main bhi jaunga." He blabbers.

Saeed removes the oxygen mask inspite of the doctor protesting, knowing all too well it is of no use anymore. He can see the darkness enveloping him, calling for his submission.

He joins his hands, that are trembling, not a single tear shedding from his eye and a small smile playing on his lips, "Bhai, mujhpe ek eh... *coughing*
ehsaan karega?"

Walid holds his joined hands, putting them down on his stomach, "Tune meri jaan bachakar apni jaan daw par lagai hai. Tu bas bol, main tere liye apni jaan bhi de sakta hun. To ehsaan wali baat karke sharminda kyun kar raha hai. Tera haq hai, maang."

Saeed looks up at the sky, his eyes glossing over at the prospect of never seeing his unborn child. He knows it will be a girl, with his steel grey eyes.

"Meri beti ko apne ghar ki izzat banayega? Wo tere ghar jayegi to main samjhunga maine apne baap hone ki zimmedari nibhali. Aur meri Zara ka khayal rakhna. Usko akela mat chodna."

Walid sobs harder, not knowing how to respond to his dying friend whom he has spent most of his childhood with. They did everything together, from studying in the same college, to joining the same profession. They even got married on the same day to Mir sisters, they were ecstatic when both their wives had gotten pregnant around the same time and they were now in their sixth month of pregnancy, waiting for the return of their husbands whom they hadn't seen in three months.

Guess life works in a cruel way, a heavily pregnant wife was never going to see her husband's charming eyes again, another wife was never going to see her husband's enchanting smile ever again.

"Wada raha bhai, teri beti isi waqt se mere bete ki kismat hai. Us par aur  Zara par aanch tak aane nahin dunga", he utters in a heavy tone, his eyes shedding non stop tears as his friend breathes his very last with a content smile and a proud look marring his features. His dead steel grey eyes staring into oblivion, the nation had lost yet another real soldier that fought selflessly for his country.