1.

Hooriya

"I abhor the Patels. What makes you think I willingly agreed to marry their blood just fifteen days after my brother's death? I have complied all your demands so far. But this is my right. I refuse to go into that bedroom and see her face. That's my final decision and come what may, I will stand my ground." I hear the authoritative voice of my husband.

My husband of few hours who refused to lay eyes on me. What could be worse than a destiny like mine? My father thought it was okay to play with me like a doll and send me into the lion's den. Like, what made him think these people would even treat me like a human. Contrary to popular belief, Baba did take care of me and my sister Amina like any other father would. He just believes there are certain things that girls should be more careful about and kept away from.

But there is no denying he is a shrewd politician. He knew denying the peace treaty would only add fuel to the fire of revolts in Sarjung against him. To become the hero among his folks, and make the election campaign easier for the next panchayat elections, he played the ace card.

Which landed me directly in the lap of our age old rivals. So here I sit after a lavish wedding ceremony in my husband's room awaiting his arrival which I now deduce would not happen anytime soon. Just what I needed to know. I was fearing he would be a middle aged fattie with yellow teeth. But turns out he looks like a model straight out of Vogue. Just my luck. Note the sarcasm.

"Saroj chachi, please have my clothes brought out of the closet. I leave for London in an hour." he speaks softly to someone. I think he won't be returning for a while. That will give me some time to settle. Because there is no way in hell I could escape this marriage. Sometimes, I wish I was a guy. I could just fly anywhere I want without thinking twice.

I walk into the washroom to get changed and sleep.

Next morning.

"Bahurani, sahab ka hukm hai aapko sari zimmedari samjhadi jaye. Subah 9 baje khana lag jata hai. Sablogon ka nashta alag hota hai aur bade sahab sirf poha khate hain nashte mein. Phir haveli ki saaf safai hoti hai jab sare mard kaam par hote hain. Bade sahab ki sirf ek behen hain jo sasural mein rehti hain.

Asad baba ki maa bachpan mein hi chal basi. Tab se maine hi sari zimmedari sambhal rakhi thi. Ye lijiye, tijori ki chabiyan. Ye ab se aapki hui. Dhyan rahe, sab ki nazar aap par hogi. Sab dekhna chahenge haveli ki badi aur ekhloti bahu kitni kabil hai. Asad baba ziddi hain par dil ke achche bahut hain. Ab mun dikhai ki rasam mein lag jaiye, baki batein baad main bataungi." Saroj chachi tells me lovingly. She is a sweet lady in her fifties. Her grey hair speak of years of experience, her wrinkled hands an indication of her sincere service to the Khans and the adoration in her voice displays where her loyalties lie.

I prepare the breakfast for the Sarpanch ji, he is the only person in the haveli apart from the workers. So he who shall not be named doesn't have any cousins and the only brother that he had is dead now. Of course he would hate my family and me. This rivalry took away his brother from him.

I serve the dishes as he arrives at the table. He keeps eating, I serve the kheer once he is done with breakfast.

"The food was delicious. Welcome to the family beta. I understand the circumstances were not favourable but that doesn't make you any less of a Khan. As far as Asad is concerned, give him some time. I will get him back home soon. Here is your welcome gift." He hands me an envelope which has money inside it. Baba also gave me money while leaving. At least he doesn't blame me for what happened and isn't as scary as his son.

I just smile at him and nod in respect. I sigh in relief as he descends out of the room. Time to act the part of Khan bahu now Hooriya. Get ready.

"Saroj chachi, I need the details of what works are done at what time. And who among the workers are the most trusted employees. Along with that, I need you to tell me everything about the working of the haveli. From tomorrow, I will monitor all the works that need attention." I request and chachi nods explaining the intricate details of my responsibility for the rest of the day.

One month later.

"Rakeena, I had told you to decorate the lawn with fresh flowers and have the weeds removed. Is it done? "

" Ji bahurani, the lawn is as good as new. What next?"

"OK, I will see to it. Now, listen the living room has been swept and mopped. Take the male workers from the kitchen and place the new vases that I ordered over there. And also assist them with putting the mats on the floor. Everything should look posh, the guests are big people and I don't want anybody to find fault in the Khan haveli."

"Jo hukm bahurani." With that she scurries away to follow the instructions.

Now time for Abbaji's morning tea. I stride towards the kitchen passing the myriad of workers on the way. It's more crowded in the haveli today than usual days as we have some big guests coming up.

I put the teabags in water, then some powdered jaggery. He is sugar intolerant. Once the tea is ready I walk towards his room. Knock. I place the dupatta over my head as I wait.

"Come in. " I enter with the tray, he is seated on his couch as usual with a newspaper in hand, his one leg placed on the other and his reading glasses on his nose. I notice the wrinkles near his eyes have increased over the days and the red-rimmed eyes are telling me he hasn't slept properly in a while.

"Abbaji, you are stressing yourself too much. Please relax, your health will be destroyed this way. You are the only family Asad is left with. He wouldn't want you to stress so much." I say politely. I have told him many times to take things easy.

"Thanks for the chai beta. If it wasn't for you, I don't know how the haveli would function. Fahad was the jaan of Vijayapet. His demise has shaken us to the core. Political turmoil has increased, everyone knew Fahad was the next heir after me. Asad was never into this stuff. Now that he isn't here anymore, we are losing support from the party leaders." My heart feels a pinch at the mention of Fahad.

Everyone talks of him, without being here he is mentioned more times than a living person. From what I heard he would be a fun person to talk with. I feel sad I missed out on a gem like that.

"But dismissing your health is not the way to go about it, Abbaji. I am sure there is a way out. But Vijayapet needs you, your son needs you to be fine. Please don't put us through this pain of seeing you holed up here."

He keeps sipping his chai, thinking about something. Saroj chachi tells me he was a man to be reckoned with. He wasn't even this depressed when his wife died.

He pats my head after getting up, "You are right beta. The party needs my next heir and it's time the right man takes responsibility." With that he walks towards the living, probably to check the preparations for the supper tonight.