18.

Noor's POV

' SERVICE OF SUMMOM '

THIS IS THE OFFICIAL SUMMON FROM THE COURT  BY  MR.IZAAN SAEED DURRANI DEMANDING A CONTESTED DIVORCE FROM HIS WIFE OF FIVE MONTHS, MRS.NOOR IZAAN DURRANI. A PETITION HAS BEEN FILED IN THE FAMILY COURT FOR UNDISPUTED SEPARATION UNDER CONTESTED DIVORCE. ACCORDING TO THE SECTION 2 OF MUSLIM MARRIAGE ACT, 1939, THIS MARRIAGE CAN BE DISSOLVED IF BOTH PARTIES AGREE AND IF APPROVED BY THE COURT. YOU ARE HEREBY INFORMED TO APPEAR BEFORE THE COURT OF LAW ON THE 30TH OF OCTOBER, 2021 AFTER SIGNING THE PAPERS FOR A HEARING.

The paper reads. Razak had handed it over to me two minutes ago and I am still trying to grasp it's contents. Is it what I am thinking? A divorce notice with signed papers?

This is a test Noorie. Allah is testing your love. Stand your ground and come out of this unscathed. Don't panic, Noorie. Don't panic. Yes. Keep it composed. Yes, right there.

I put on my poker face which I use rarely but I need it right now. I look up towards Razak who is trying to gauge my expression. Not so fast Mr.Abdulla. You don't know what a Durrani daughter is capable of.

I am aware of the gaze on my left where sits my husband, who isn't going to remain my husband soon. The pain that erupts in my chest at the thought is enough to take away my life but I have to wait, until I set him free of this forced bond. Then my life will be mine to kill.

"Can you elaborate the document, Mr. Abdullah? "I question firmly with blank eyes. He is taken aback at my choice of addressing him. From Razak bhai to Mr.Abdullah, quite a jump there Noorie.

"Right. So basically this petition comes under a contested divorce. Meaning the first party is filing against the will of the second. But that's not the case with you guys. As far as Izaan told me, both of you need it. But since your marriage hasn't completed one year, you cannot file for a mutual divorce. Contested divorce usually takes longer time but if you sign the papers by next week, and given the circumstances of your marriage if we prove to the court that it was a forced marriage, both of you will be free in the next three months. Also, there shouldn't be any dispute regarding alimony or maintenance fees or child custody. All of it will reduce the time duration for us. You can have a lawyer of your own coordinate with us if you want, bhabhi ", he finishes in his professional tone.

I nod. "Bhabhi bolna choddein Razak bhai. Kahin adat na padjaye. (You should stop calling me bhabhi. What if you get habituated?) I can see Izaan's head turning towards me and his eyes boring holes in my face. I can bet my life his knuckles are white under the table.

Razak bhai seems less surprised than my own damn husband. What did he expect, for me to grovel at his feet to not divorce me? I have more self respect than that.

I take a sip from the mineral water and finish my burger pretending to have all the time in the world when in reality I want to hide myself in a burrow.

" A week's time, was it? Don't worry Mr. Abdullah, I will sign the divorce papers and my lawyer will submit them in the court before the next 48 hours. A week is too long. If that's all, I will take your leave. I have a lawyer to find. Allah Hafiz " I say in my practiced monotonous voice and get up walking out of the cafe with my chin help up high and shoulders straight.

I drive straight to Ashfa's house, her door opens and I am partly shocked and partly confused to see Riz sprawled on her sofa. I wave at them and come inside. Ashfa is nervous and I can bet I am missing on something here.

"Hey guys, It's good to see you here Riz. I was about to call you to meet us here"

"Hi Noorie. How was the trip to Dawer?"

Our time at the hut comes to my mind. It's the most beautiful memory of ours together.

"Beautiful. It was beautiful there. But tell me what are you doing here? Not to sound judgemental, she lives alone and you are a Na-mehram."

He sighs, trying to rack his brain for an excuse. Ashfa seems to be panicking now, "Relax, Ashfa. I won't eat you guys up"

"Noorie, I like Ashfa. As in from three years. Because of you, we got closer and I fell in love."

Whoa, that's not very surprising. I had seen him giving googly eyes to her but I didn't know it was that serious.

"Before you judge us, we got married already." Ashfa butts in.

"What? " I choke. How could she do that? Her parents are conservative, they would never accept their relation.

"I know what you are thinking, thats why we got married. My parents would never agree to this. "

"Damn guys, you were pretty fast", is all I can manage to say.

"Yep, I can't stay without her anymore" Riz says keeping his eyes on her. She blushes deeply, tucking her hair behind. Young love.

"Well, I am rooting for you guys. But then why were you saying that Riz liked me back in the basketball court?"

"Well, sorry. I just wanted to know if you have feelings for him. You didn't even bat an eye when we teased you which gave me some relief"

"Come on Ashfa, I always had eyes for you. Why did you have to even think I could like Noorie " Riz huffs and turns away from her. She quickly goes to him, wrapping him in his arms.

" Sorry, babe. I was just insecure. Forgive me", she pecks his lips and my eyes widen.

"Oh God! Please keep this to your bedroom. Let's talk like civil people now instead of smooching each other's faces." I say pretending to close my eyes.

Ashfa chuckles and tries to come out but Riz settles on the couch with her on his lap. I just shake my head, guess I have to tolerate their PDA now. But they do look cute together. May Allah bless them.

"Now tell us, how is it going with you hot husband?", Ashfa asks and Riz gives her a stink eye.

"Not my husband. Soon to be ex-husband. He filed for divorce and gave me the papers today"

"What? Is he nuts? Anyone with eyes can see he loves you." Ashfa states.

"Exactly. But the biggest question is, why are you taking this so calmly? I As if you have nothing to lose."

" I technically don't Riz. He never was mine from the beginning. But that's not why I am doing it calmly this time. There is a bigger story that isn't coming front right now. It will eventually come up. Also, I did a huge mistake the last time I hastily jumped to conclusions. I don't want to repeat them this time. I love Zaan. There is no doubt in that. If he loves me back, then I am firm we will not divorce. If we have Allah's blessings, nobody can do anything to our relationship. I just have to be patient. And go with the flow. "

"Whoa, you have grown smarter since the last time I saw you" Riz says.

" It's called maturity, Riz"

He sighs. "I can talk to him if you want. He is doing the biggest mistake by letting you go"

"No, he hates even if your name is taken. I am not sure you will come back alive if you go meet him. Which reminds me, do you both have some previous rivalry? "

"Nope, the first time I saw him was in that cafe. I don't forget faces Noor and  a face like his can never slip my memory."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion, then why did Zaan hate him so much?