6.

Hooriya.

"Bahurani, Sarpanch ji has asked me bring you to the hospital. They are still treating Asad baba."

"What are you waiting for Kareem. Let's go already. I want to be there quickly" I speak anxiously and settle into the backseat fast. Who asked him to drive at midnight? Can't he just sleep like normal people do. He wouldn't have crashed into a post box if he drove at the middle of a night. He was already tired from the village tour. Allah miyan, keep my Asad safe. Please, don't let anything happen to him. Please. Please. Please. I  try to wipe my tears hastily as  Kareem stops before the hospital. I get out quickly rushing towards the emergency ward.

The moment I reach at the OT,  the sight before me is heartbreaking. Abbaji is sitting with slumped shoulders, his tears ready to break out any moment. Saif is completing the formalities, and coordinating with the two of doctors standing there. Why are so many or them here? Is it too big.

No. No. He has to be safe. Allah, you can't punish me this way. I walk towards Abbaji quickly, he looks up with with much pain I wish I hadn't sen this sight.

"Abbaji, what did the doctors tell?"

"Beta. He is going to be operated soon. They say his legs recieved the maximum impact, he might have broken his bones. He is unconscious right now. When he was brought in, I almost fainted at the amount of blood." Abbaji says with a broken look and fear lacing his tone.

I stagger back, I don't know how to take this news. Why is it always me? God, what have we done. Can't my family live in peace. Just less than three months ago, Abbaji lost his son, how can he bear with this?

"Abbaji Pease don't panic. Asad will be fine. I believe in the power of Allah. He will make everything fine. He has to" I try gathering my broken strength. Hoping I can keep us together on the tiniest of hope. Just then I see my father coming towards us. What is he doing here? I think he got the news too.

He sits beside Abbaji consoling him. I take the opportunity to ask Saif about Asad's health. Saif told me he is still in danger, there was too much blood loss.

I rush into the prayer room, thank God there was one in this hospital. I make wudu and spread the mat begging before the lord, to give back my husband to me. The tears have leaked out completely, my ducts void of anymore liquid to shed.

'Allah taala, I don't know how it happened, but he has become an invincible part of my life. My world shook when Abbaji informed me about his accident. Maybe it's the power of Nikaah, that I forget the world when I see him. I seem to forget my ability to speak, I cannot focus on anything other than him. In the short time I have come to know him, without holding many conversations, without spending time with him, I know he is the one for me.

I don't know if he will ever accept me, but my traitor heart already did. My soul recognises his as mine, I couldn't stop myself from falling for the person that he is. Please don't take him away from me. I will be shattered, destroyed to the core. I haven't felt this strongly for any man in my life, I am afraid I will lose my sanity if something happens to him. Please cure him fast, please give him a long life. Ameen'

Just as I fold the prayer mat, Saif barges in panting.

"Hooriya. The operation was successful.  God heard us. Asad is out of danger now." I give him a teary smile nodding.

We walk out together towards the OT. Abbaji is joyous but I can see the tiredness clearly in his eyes. It's 3 am. That's how crazy my husband is, driving in the middle of the night. I greet my father. He pats my head saying everything will be fine. I am happy to meet him, it would be nice if we met in better circumstances. The moment doctor gives a go for us to meet him, I rush inside without second thoughts. Everybody else can wait.

Asad is hooked to various machines, lying lifeless there. Another tear spills from my eyes, I walk towards him, sitting near his bed. His legs are wrapped under the plaster, his face has maroon colored bruises, his lower lip has been slightly cut. Goodness, he looks like a mess. A hot mess. I place my hand in his, his cold fingers brush against mine, my face heats up. He would kill me for doing this if he was awake.

I raise our joined hands together on my lips, kissing his skin softly. I kiss his bruised knuckles.

"What have you made of yourself? Please wake up soon. I want to see your beautiful chocolate brown eyes glaring at me. As if I have asked for your kidney." I chuckle at my own words, trying to lighten the tense atmosphere. Even when he is unconscious, be makes sure to leave me anxious.

"As...Asad ji, uthjaiye. Aap aise achche nai lagte, verna maine aapki room par phirse kabza karna hai. Kab samjhenge aap, Abbaji aur main aapko nai khosakte. Please hamein aise dobara mat darana." Just then the door opens and all of them enter.

Saif says, "We were waiting for you to come out, but it's clear you won't leave his side anytime soon." I just shrug,  it's true. I don't plan on leaving his side anytime soon.

I want to give some privacy to Abbaji and Asad but I am am scared to stay away from him. What if something happens again? I would rather stay with him here.

I sent everyone home after a lot of insistence and settle down on the couch. Before I can doze off completely, I hear a faint groaning noise. Am I dreaming?

I instantly sit up, looking at Asad. His eyes are blinking  continuously, is he waking up? With a racing heart, I get up and walk towards him. He tries moving his arms to get rid of the syringe but i hold them in mine. His eyes shoot up to me in surprise.

"Don't move your hand much, there is a needle in your vein. Do you need me to get  a doctor? Is it paining? Wait, let me just call a nurse. How stupid of me" I rambled nervously walking out, he pulls my hand that was holding his.

Shit. I am still holding it? He will cut me into pieces. I gulp and look towards him, he is mouthing something. I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion.

Why isn't he speaking? I move forward trying to understand his words.

"Come again" I tell him gently.

"P..pani" Oh! Water. I quick nod picking the bottle from the table. I open it's lid and place it near his mouth, he slowly drinks some of it. I notice his red eyes, is it due to the drugs that he has been injected with?

He sips some more water before I withdraw the bottle. His eyes scrutinize me like I am a puzzle. That leaves me nervous. I am not sure what to think about this sudden attention on me.

"Is it paining somewhere? I can call the doctor if you want. Although, he said you will regain consciousness soon, if you want I will call him." I say nervously. This is the first time we are having this much conversation. And inspite of being badly bruised, he still looks dominant and in control.

I have officially lost my brains.

He shakes his head in a no. His eyes are still scrutinizing me, I go back to the couch. And sleep consumes me soon.