4.

Nazanin Abbas.

I shut the door behind me after dropping my dress in the laundry bin and exiting the bathroom. A yawn escapes me as I settle on the bed with a bottle of moisturiser, waiting for Dan. Our birthday was a tiring event, we had decided to be with our mothers the entire day. Even though they never complain, I know they sometimes feel lonely in spite of having each other.

After waiting for a few more minutes, the door opens revealing Dani with a glass of apple juice in hand. I grin, extending my hands. He places the glass in my hand, grabbing the bottle of lotion from mine. I move slightly to make place for him, he slips in getting into his routine of applying the lotion on me.

As I drink from one hand, I place my other on his lap and he begins rubbing the lotion on my hand. I rest my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes. After the first hand is done, he takes the other one applying on it.

"Kitni der lagadi aane mein, kahan the tum?", I whine as he places a peck on my forehead.

"Mama aur Annie dono ko unki dawai deni thi. Tumhe pata hai na, Annie apni dawai khudse nai leti. Warna unka B.P badjata." He says, now focussing on my legs. He takes a bit of the lotion in his hands, beginning to massage my ankle, then he drags it till my knee.

"Mmmm, Dan. Mujhe wo trigonometry ka jo aaj homework diya hai us akdu sir ne, usme kuch samaj hi nai aaya. Tum mujhe apni book dedo please. Maine saare solutions copy karne hain."

"Nai Niny. If you copy my work now, what will you do in the exams? Apna homework tum khudse hi karogi. Main concept samajha sakta hun."

I get up from my comfortable position, scowling at him.
"Kitni baar kaha hai ki mujhe Niny mat bulao. Tum sunte kyun nai? Rahi baat homework ki, to agar tumhe nai dena to koi baat nai. Main kal Irfan se lekar copy karlungi. Tum rehne do", I scowl at him removing his hands and turning my back to him.

He turns my shoulder, cupping my face and looking at me warmly, "Naaz, sorry mai baar baar tumhe Niny bulata hun, bachpan ki adat hai. Next time se, dhyaan rakhunga. Aur main tumhe homework isliye nai de raha kyunki mai nai chahta tumhe exam ke waqt zyada pressure aaye. Abhi se padogi to aasani hogi na, tum mujhse copy karo ya Irfan se, baat to ek hi hai."

I frown, thinking over his words. Well, if I study by myself now and try to solve them I will be confident during the exam. Still, I don't want to do that boring homework. I nod reluctantly, turning back to him.

He smiles, his fingers touching my pouting lips and stretching them into a smile. I punch his chest, knowing it won't affect him one bit but he still pretends to be hurt. And I giggle at his bad acting, he looked funny. Then I rub the area softly, just like I used to do in childhood whenever he would be hurt.

"Okay, now that the homework issue is solved. Tell me, Milady how was your day?" He asks.

I sigh, "Well, you were with me pretty much the whole day. So you know how it went already."
He wraps his hand around my shoulder as I place my head against his.

"Dan, you know that Raima likes you right? She keeps giving you shy glances whenever she sees you at college. Why don't you give her a shot?", I want him to live his life a little, and not spend it being the man of the house always. As his bestfriend, it is my responsibility to set him up with someone.

Dani seems to be in deep thoughts, then he shrugs. "I don't have time to pursue any girl Ni..Naaz. I have responsibilities to fulfil, mothers to take care of and a job to work for."

I shake my head in disappointment, flicking his forehead, "Live a little, you oldie! Otherwise you will get wrinkles very fast."

He sighs, not very happy with my comment. "I have you to make me live my life, no? You keep dragging me to cafes, workshops, shopping malls, on picnics...all of that should count as living right?", he says distracted.

"Exactly, there is just me. If you get a girlfriend, it will be so much fun Dan. Just think about it, okay? I will ask Raima to join us for lunch tomorrow. See if you like her." I try to convince him, putting on my best puppy eyes.

He nods reluctantly,"Okay, but if I don't like her you won't force me after. Done?"

I nod, positive that he will be charmed by her tomorrow. She is so classy and pretty, no boy could reject her. I clap, excited for a new addition. It's been just the two of us, for way too long. I am definitely not going to be the jealous bestfriend.

This is going to be fun, I quickly scramble on my feet to get my phone from the sofa outside. I need to text her to come dressed tomorrow.

By the time I come back, he is already asleep. He got tired after the entire day, I put the duvet over him and skip my way to Mom's room. As usual, both sisters are hunched over their laptop doing God knows whatever.

"Hello ladies. What are you doing?", I whisper close to them and they flinch in fear. I burst out laughing at their horrified expressions.

"Naaz, Allah! Tum hamesha aafat ki tarah kyun entry maarti ho?", Mama replies.

I grin, "I love taking the world by storm, Mama." I plop on the bed beside Maasima taking a peak at their laptop to see what they were so keenly looking at. There are images of decorated lawns, in different ways.

"Ye aap log kya dekh rahe hain?"

"Decorations, tumhari dawat ke"

"Ab tum dono legally adult hogai ho. Halanki tumhari rukhsati Walid bhai ke rehte hi hogai thi, ham dono chahte the ki ek chota event rakh kar tumhe Dani ke room mein shift karwa denge. Ab tumlog miyan biwi kab tak alag kamron mein rahoge?" Mom says excitedly.

I burst out laughing at her last statement. Miyan? Aur wo bhi Dani?

Oh boy! How creative can these ladies get? They both look confused at my reaction, so I compose myself.

"Dekhiye, jo aap log....", Another bout of laughter hits me recalling their words. I clutch my stomach trying to breathe in while laughing. Both of them eye me warily, questionimg my sanity.

Baat hi aisi kari hai inhone, ab main hasun nai to kya karun.

"Kya tum logan, jo dil mein aaya bak derin kya. Main aur Dani? Miyan biwi? Kayamat aajaingi usse pehle. Mera best friend hai yaaro, hamdono ek dusre ke better half hain. Matlab, ham saath mein bade hue so hain, mere bhai ke waisa hai ji une. Haan kuch circumstances ki wajah se hogai bhai hamari shadi, lekin tab bacche the hamlogan. Main to nai mantun is Nikaah ku and I bet my life Dani bhi yaich bolne wale hain." I chortle, and looking at their pale expressions even after trying to approach the matter in a funny way confirmed the fact that convincing them is going to be tough job.

(A/N: Guess the accent guys 😁)

Mom gasps, clutching her heart with teary eyes. Ugh, not this again. Come on God, spare me the drama.