Chapter 16

Paige POV:

We start making our way off the bus and I think everyone has sensed my nervousness because Christyn says, "We got you P" and Evina quickly adds "yea, we won't let anything happen to you, I promise"

As soon as I make my way down the steps of the bus the camera flashes start going crazy the paparazzi start coming closer but I notice all my teammates surrounding me so they won't get near me, which I'm very thankful for.

I listen to what coach said and keep my head down as I follow everyone into the airport. I've never experienced anything like this before and honestly it's pretty scary. I don't know what I would do if my team wasn't surrounding me right now.

We finally make it inside the airport and coach was right, they are following us. But, now is when I notice that they are screaming questions at me

"Paige how does it feel to be the best basketball player in the country" "How many points do you think you will get verse a Tennessee" "How hard is Geno working you" "Do you think you will lead your team to a National Championship this year"

This is all getting too much for me so I decide to put my airpods in my ears and turn on some music, that way I can block them out and try to steady my heartbeat.

Evina notices my panic and places her hand on my back to help me remember that I'm safe and they are here for me.

We finally make it to security and I couldn't be more thankful. CD goes through first and then everyone allows me to go next, to get away from the chaos. So I quickly take my airpods out and put everything on the conveyor belt thing and walk through the metal detector.

Once I'm through I put my hood up and keep my back to the paparazzi, that way they can't take anymore pictures of me.

Eventually everyone makes it through security and we make our way to our gate.

"Hey, you ok?" Geno asks as he walks up to me

"Yea, just a bit jumpy, but I'll be fine in a little"

We make it to our gate and we all sit down waiting to board. I quickly text Peyton I made it to the airport and the gate because through all that chaos I forgot.

Then I notice this little girl about 7 or 8 years old and her mom walks up to me.

"Hey, we don't mean to bother you but can my daughter get a picture with you really fast, she's a huge fan"

"Yea of course, what's you're name" I ask bending down to the little girl

"Ava"

"That's a pretty name Ava" I say as she smiles and we take a photo

"Thank you!" the mom says cheerfully

"Yeah, no problem, are you guys going to watch the game tomorrow?" I ask

"Yea we are actually on our way to visit Ava's grandparents who live in Florida and are Uconn alumni, who watch every game"

"Oh wow, that's crazy, well tell them thank you for me, that means a lot"

"I definitely will! Good luck tomorrow!" the mom says as they start walking away.

"Thank you, it was nice to meet you Ava" I say as I wave bye to her and then sit back down.

"That little girl was cute" Aubrey says

"Yea I know, I love when girls come up to me, it makes my day when they say that I inspire them or they dream to be like me when they're older."

I was currently scrolling through Instagram when I got a facetime call from Peyton. I quickly got up and told everyone I was going to sit a few rows back where there are a lot of empty seats so it would be harder for people to listen in on our conversation.

I had my airpods in that way I would be able to hear her better over the noise in the airport.

"Hey" I said smiling as I answered her call.

Peyton POV:

"Hey, how's the trip so far"

"It's okay, just waiting for the time to board"

"What about you, how are you, I heard about the paparazzi"

Nika had texted me about the paparazzi encounter and said Paige looked a little shaken up but wouldn't say anything about it, so she was hoping I could get her to talk about how she's feeling.

Nika and I have become really close, whenever anything happened with Paige at practice or games or just in general, she always let me know that way I could help her.

Paige puts on this face that she's always okay, and nothing bothers her. But, I've noticed I'm the only one that can break down her wall and get her to express how she feels.

She always thinks she needs to be this happy person that has everything under control at the moment, because the public views her as the teams leader. But in reality she gets overwhelmed and stressed out and it gets to the point where that mask she wears of always being happy, quickly falls.

"I'm, um, I'm ok" she replies looking around instead of at me.

I've noticed whenever she talks about how she feels she always looks at anything else other than me because she's scared of people seeing her vulnerable, even though I've told her countless times that it's okay to feel what she's feeling and that she doesn't have to be ashamed of it.

"It was scary" she quickly adds almost mumbling

"What happened"

"As soon as I stepped off the bus, they all swarmed around me and I couldn't see where I was going because of all the flashing lights. I was so lucky that all my friends were standing around me or else I don't know what would've happened. I think I would've had a panic attack. I almost did, until Evina came closer to me and put her hand on my back keeping me close to her and helping me get through security. But they all kept screaming questions at me and it got so bad I had to put my airpods in and listen to music."

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I wish I could be there with you so I can give you a hug a never let go. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. If it helps at all, someone recorded the entire thing and posted it on twitter and everyone is really mad about how they treated you and how they were screaming at you"

"Yea, I'm just glad it's over now. I don't know how celebrities deal with that on a daily basis"

"Yea I don't either, but how are you now"

"I'm good, still a little shaken up but I'll be okay. I met this cute little girl after and she was so excited to meet me and get a picture with me, so that made me happy"

"Aw, I'm glad" I responded as I hear Nika yell through the phone "Come on P, we are boarding"

"I gotta go, but I'll text you when we land" Paige says.

"Alright, be safe"

"I will, I'll talk to you soon" she says quickly before ending the facetime.