Chapter 69

Peyton POV:

We are playing University of Central Florida, UCF for short. We start in the field and I can already tell UCF is a very obnoxious team based on their cheering for their teammates.

The first batter hits a line drive to Kenzie, our shortstop, and she easily catches it getting the first out of the game. The next batter bunts, so I run over to cover first base as our 3rd basemen throws to me and we get the second out.

The next batter steps up to the plate as I walk back into my position and get ready. She hits a hard grounder in between me and shortstop, so I dive to try to stop the ball but I miss it and it goes into the outfield, where our centerfield gets it and throws it in.

I then hear the UCF bench scream "WHAT'S ALL THE HYPE ABOUT??" at me. Which I then realize it's gonna be one of those games. I honestly don't mind trash talk it just gives me more adrenaline to prove everyone wrong.

Shortly after we get the third out because the next batter hits a grounder to our pitcher and she easily throws it to first and gets the out. As my team jogs back to the dugout to get ready to bat I hear "You're good P, shake it" "Ignore them, your fine", etc. from my teammates which I'm happy about to know they have my back.

Kenzie starts us off for batting and she gets a double which makes the crowd erupt in cheers. I'm next up, so I walk over to the batters box, write a P in the sand for Paige, and get into my stance.

The UCF bench starts screaming "CLOUT CHASER" at me but I ignore it and get ready for the pitcher to release the ball and when she does it's a ball so I don't swing. I step out of the batters box and look at my coach to see if she's giving me any signs, and she tells me bunt.

So, I get back into the batters box and get into my stance which makes the UCF bench scream at me again, which I don't know why, I never did anything to them and I'm definitely not dating Paige for the fame.

The pitcher gets ready to pitch so I square to bunt, which makes the first baseman and third basemen run forward. Once the pitcher releases the ball, I bunt it and run to first. I end up being safe since the third basemen bobbled the ball and couldn't throw it in time. Which makes me get to first and Kenzie at third.

Mack is the next hitter up and I look to Coach V who is the third base coach and she does the sign for me to steal. So I get ready for the pitch and as soon as the pitcher releases the ball I sprint to second base and as I'm sliding the shortstop catches the ball and hits me right in the jaw with her glove which makes me fall back onto the sand as the umpire yells "Safe!".

The shortstop walks over to me and says "Looks like it will hurt to kiss your little girlfriend for a while" with a smirk on her face before walking away and back to her position. Which makes me mad because I don't care if they trash talk me but once they bring in Paige to it, it's a whole other story.

I stand up and Coach V, Coach Brady and Cat are all jogging towards me to see if I'm injured.

"I'm fine" I tell them once they reach me

"Hey, relax, you got hit pretty hard let us just take a look to be safe" Coach V tells me

After Cat gives me the concussion protocol and looks at my jaw she says I'm fine to stay in the game which I'm grateful for because now I wanna show this UCF team what happens when they make me mad.

"By the way, you got Kenzie to score so good job" Coach Brady says as they all start to walk away from me.

I look towards Paige in the stands and she's already looking at me and I give her a thumbs up to let her know I'm okay and in the corner of my eye I see my mom in the crowd too looking at me worried. Which makes me more mad because now all the sudden she cares if I'm hurt.

The rest of the game I go crazy and make great play after great play and hit a double, a single, a 2 run home-run and a triple. We win the game 10-2 and I'm just glad I shut up UCF.

"You played great today Peyton" Evina says giving me a fist bump

"Thanks, notice how UCF stopped talking" I say

"Oh so you did hear them" Paige says wrapping her arms around my waist which makes me look at her

"Yea I did, and they were jerks, especially when they brought you into it" I say

"You're crazy" Nika says laughing

"How" I ask her

"Because they bring Paige up and you have the game of your life" Nika answers

"Yea because it made me mad" I say

"So you were protecting me" Paige says

"I guess, it was more like if you be a jerk to me and someone I care about, you will regret it" I say leaning in to kiss Paige which she happily accepts and kisses me back.

As we pull apart I say, "I guess that girl didn't hit me hard enough in the jaw because it looks like I can still kiss you" which makes everyone laugh including Paige before she pulls me in for another kiss.