Chapter 64

Peyton POV:

On my way back to the dugout I look over at Paige in the stands and see her and Nika both standing up with worry across their faces.

I make eye contact with Paige and give her a thumbs up letting her know I'm okay, before giving a fist bump to my teammate who is subbing in, to run for me, because it turns out I was safe.

The rest of the inning goes on and we got bases loaded but we weren't able to score, so it's still tied 2-2 in the top of the 7th now.

"You good to field?" Coach V asks me as I start grabbing my glove

"Yea, I'll be fine" I say as I jog out of the dugout and head towards second.

If we hold Penn State (who I forgot to mention we are playing) to no runs this inning, then all we have to do is score next inning and we win. But that's easier said than done.

There are currently runners on first and third with 2 outs and we are still in the field. When suddenly a line drive is hit to me and I make a diving catch to end the inning keeping it tied 2-2. As I get up from the ground after making the diving catch my ribs hurt a little bit since there was pressure on them. But I make my way back to the dugout and get ready to hit again.

"Way to keep us in the game, Peyton" Coach V says tapping my head as I put my helmet on.

Somehow last inning we were able to get through so many people in our lineup that I'm up to hit first. So I tighten my batting gloves, grab my bat and head to the batters box. Before I step in the box, I look at Coach V again to see if she is giving me any signs, but she isn't. Before I step into the batters box I take the end of my bat and write a letter P in the sand, for Paige and then step in the box and get in my stance.

The pitcher gets ready and does her motion and then releases the ball, I notice it's a fastball right down the middle and swing away and the ball goes flying. As I start running to first I watch as the left fielder runs towards the fence but there's nothing she can do, because the ball is out of here and I hear the crowd erupt into cheering as I make my way towards second.

My teammates all rush out of the dug out and all wait for me at home plate cheering. As soon as I step on home plate my teammates all rush into hug me, still cheering because they can't believe that just happened. I can't even believe that happened.

Once the game is over and we pack up everything I head out of the Burrill Family Field (which is what the softball arena is called) and spot Paige and Nika waiting outside. I start running over to them still in my uniform and dirt all over me but I don't care. Paige noticed me and starts running towards me too and when we meet in the middle I wrap my arms around her and give her a big hug with a huge smile on my face

"You played amazing" Nika says as she catches up to us as we sway back and forth before we let go

"Thank you" I say smiling

"Yea you did, you hitting a home-run on the first pitch was crazy" Paige says

"Oh my god, I couldn't believe it either" I say laughing as I pull Nika into a short hug

"Ew you're all sweaty" she says as we pull away

"Oh shut up, like you don't sweat when you play" I say laughing

"You got a point" Nika says

"Oh I saw what you did before you get ready to bat at the end" Paige says

"What do you mean" I say smirking acting as if I don't know what she's talking about

"Oh please, I saw you write the letter P in the sand with your bat before you got into the batters box" she says smiling

"What can I say, you're my good luck charm" I say smiling back at her

"Well considering you hit a homerun after doing that, I suggest you do that every time you go up to bat" she says stepping closer to me and wrapping her arms around my waist, which I then wrap my hands around her neck as we stare into each other's eyes

"Ok, love birds, no need to be so cute" Nika says which makes us both laugh, but before we pull away I quickly give Paige a kiss which makes Nika fake gag.