Chapter 78

*Time skip to Paiges March Madness games* (Sorry I skipped the Big East Tournament I just felt like this story was dragging so I'm trying to make it more exciting. Also Peyton doesn't have a sprained finger anymore)

Peyton POV:

Luckily for me there was a break in my softball schedule right when Paige's March Madness games begin so I was able to fly down to Austin Texas and watch her. I got my own hotel room since Paige has so stay with her teammates but I'm in the same hotel as her so it's better than nothing.

I'm also here with her mom, dad, drew, Ryan, and Lauren. So we are gonna be the best fan section in the whole arena I already know it.

We are currently at the UConn vs. High Point NCAA 1st Round game. It's Paiges dad, Drew, Me, Lauren, Ryan, and Paiges mom in the order of how we are sitting. I'm kinda nervous now that each game is an elimination game because I want Paige and her team to go all the way.

The referee just tossed the ball up and Liv tosses it to Nika who's behind her, giving Uconn the ball to start off. Nika dribbles down the court and then passes to Christyn around the 3 point line, who then passes it to Liv around the free throw line, and then Liv passes it to Paige who is in the other side of the three point line.

Paige quickly scans where her teammates are and passes it back to Live who's in the paint, then Paige jukes out her teammates so Liv passes her the ball back but as Paige is about to shoot her defender catches up to her, so she shot fakes and passes the ball back to Liv who scores the layup making Uconn lead 0-2 to start it off.

"Starting off strong" I say out loud as we all cheer

"Yea let's hope it stays that way" Paiges dad says

It's the middle of the second quarter and Uconn has the ball. Nika goes up to shoot the ball and when she lands she rolls her ankle on one of the High Point player's foot and falls to the ground holding her ankle.

"Oh no" I say standing up looking at Nika cry in pain on the court as the refs blow the whistle.

All her teammates go surround her until the athletic trainer and Chris Dailey jog over to Nika, sending the players to the bench to get a drink.

After a couple minutes of the athletic trainer, Janelle, looking at Nika's ankle, Paige walks back onto the court and over to Nika.

I love the friendship they have created especially on the court because they look out for each other which is really sweet and shows how much they care for one another.

Paige helps Nika stand up, Nika not putting any weight on her right foot, as Paige takes Nika's arm and puts it around her neck as Paige grabs Nika's waist, and Janelle does the same thing on the other side to help Nika off the court, which gets everyone in the arena to clap.

Once they get back to the bench, Paige switches with Autumn because she has to stay on the court. But eventually they get Nika over to the examination table.

"I hope she's okay" I say sitting back down in my seat

"Me too, it sucks this happened in her first tournament game because she would've had a great run" Paiges dad adds

Uconn ends up winnin 59-102. Paige had 24 points, 4 steals, 2 blocks, and 6 assists. Which apparently is the most amount of points a freshmen has scored in their NCAA tournament debut.

Nika has a boot on her right foot now and also has crutches to take away most of the pressure off her ankle. I feel so bad for her and hate seeing her injured because she's also this happy, energetic, goofy person all the time but now she looks so upset.

Paige finished her postgame press conference and enters the hallway where me and her family are waiting for her. She comes up to all of us and gives us all a hug, and hugs me last but holds it a little longer than the rest.

Everyone tells her good game and congrats on the win as we start making our way out of the arena and to her bus. But I hang back with Paige as her family walks in front of us.

"How's Nika?" I ask her

"She's okay, definitely in pain and definitely very upset, but I know she will come back stronger" she answers

"Seeing her so upset was so hard to watch. I hate seeing her like that" I say

"Me too, when I was helping her off the court she couldn't stop crying I felt so bad"

After the game Paige and I went out to eat with her family to spend time together. It was a nice dinner and we all got to talk to one another and get to know each other a little more and most importantly make memories we won't forget. For example, Ryan cutting his chicken nuggets with a fork and knife and it going flying across the restaurant. We all couldn't stop laughing.

Unfortunately we couldn't stay out too late because Paige has a specific curfew she has to be back in her hotel room by, since she has to get ready for her next game and needs all the rest she can get. But it was still a good night.