Chapter 67

Peyton POV:

As my mom is still screaming at me from across the bleachers I notice Paige run over to Chase and then shortly after he is walking towards me. Which means she probably noticed what was happening and I feel bad because I don't want her to worry about me because she has to play a game right now.

"Guys if Chase, the body guard walking over here, says something random, just go with it" I say quietly to RJ, Mack, and Kenzie which they all say "Ok" without asking questions.

You see, Me, Chase, and Paige created this code with each other that if anything would ever happen to one of us was in an uncomfortable situation we would say it and we would leave.

Chase walks up to the security guard by my mom and whispers something in his ear, which the guard responds by nodding his head, and then Chase continues to walk over to us.

"Hey guys, how's it going" Chase says acting normal but looking straight at me waiting for me to do our code if I'm uncomfortable, which I then begin cracking my knuckles, which is the code and he quickly says "Peyton your manager is here and needs to talk to you, so how about you guys come with me"

Kenzie, Mack, and RJ all get the hint that this is what I meant earlier about if he says something random, and start heading down the bleachers towards Chase.

I stand next to Chase who's on my right, he's closest to the seats full of people, then RJ, Mack, and Kenzie are behind me. Chase starts walking so we all follow him, and as we are walking and heading towards the UConn bench I still hear my mom screaming something at me but ignore her.

As we are walking Paige hits a 3 and the crowd starts cheering and she looks at me before she turns around to go on defense, and I give her a nod, to let her know I'm okay.

Chase then brings us to 4 empty seats behind the Uconn bench and we sit down.

"After the game Peyton I'm taking you into the locker room through the back, to hopefully avoid whoever that was" Chase says

"Ok thank you" I tell him thankful he was able to make sure I am safe.

"You guys don't have to wait for me after the game if you don't want, I'll be safe with Chase" I tell RJ, Mack, and Kenzie

"Alright but if you need us we are one call away" RJ says

The game ended, Paige had a good game she had 11 points, 7 assists, and 2 steals. Right now Chase is bringing me to the locker room from the entrance by the front of Gampel, to hopefully avoid my mom from following us.

We get to an empty hallway that leads to the locker room door, when all the sudden I hear from behind me, "Peyton, please wait" from my mom

I turn around to face her since she's still a few feet away.

"Why should I wait, please, give me one good reason" I say annoyed with Chase still standing close to me in case something happens

"Because I'm your mother" she answers back mad since I'm talking to her in an attitude

"No you're not. Not anymore" I say starting to get upset

"I was the one who raised you you're entire life, I will always be your mother" she says raising her voice

"You stopped being my mother the day you left me and kicked me out of the house. Or did you forget about that? You sent your 17 year old child to live on the streets without a care in the world. Never reaching out, never checking in to see if I was okay or even alive for that matter." I say with tears starting to form in my eyes

"I've always cared, don't you dare say I didn't" She says raising her voice even more

"Oh so you cared when I was left on the side of the road without a place to sleep, or when Kates mom made her basement into a bedroom for me, or when I got recruited from a college? Because last I checked you weren't there for any of those! The only people who truly care about me are Jack, Elle, Paige, her teammates, my teammates, my Coaches, and my fans. They've been more of a family than you and dad have ever been, because they actually accept who I am more than you ever will. So don't give me this 'I still love you' talk because we both know it's a lie. So tell me why you're really here" I say getting mad

"I came to see you play" she answers

"Then why are you at a basketball game hunting me down" I fire back

"Because I know your girlfriend plays on the team so you would be here"

"So you're telling me you could check up on my life on social media and see who I'm dating, but not send one single text to me or even call me?"

"You're so busy with your fans you wouldn't have time to talk"

"Mom, please don't tell me you came all this way because your daughter is famous" I say starting to cry, which leaves her speechless just staring at me. "Great to know you don't really care about me and you just came to use me because of my fame" I say turning around to walk into the locker room but see Paige and Nika standing there looking at me as if they are about to cry too.

"Peyton please don't leave" my mom screams

I turn my head to look at her with tears still falling out of my eyes and say, "Looks like you're about to learn how it feels to get left alone" and walk past Paige and Nika into the lockerroom, away from my mom.

Paige and Nika follow me into the lockerrom, Chase guarding the door, and Paige walks over and hugs me. I break down crying in her arms as she holds me and says comforting words along the lines of "You're okay" and "I've got you"