Chapter 33

Peyton POV:

"Do you wanna go back out there" Janelle asks Paige as she lets go of our hug but still holding onto my hands

"You don't have to if you don't want to" I tell her

"What's the score" she asks

"54-54 going into overtime" Chase responds

"Yea I'll go back out" she says standing up

"You don't have to Paige" I say

"Yea I do, I can't let my team down when they need me" she says walking out of the locker room as we follow her.

As we walk back onto the court everyone in the arena starts clapping for Paige as she walks over to Geno during the commercial break.

"Put me in" Paige says to Geno

"Are you sure" he asks

"Yea, I got this" she answers

"Alright, go in for Aubrey" Geno says as Paige jogs back onto the court.

I start making my way back to the student section when Geno stops me.

"Stay" he says

"What"

"She might need you, sit on the bench next to Janelle, if anyone asks your a volunteer trainer helping the medical staff"

I do as he says and sit down on the bench next to Janelle as overtime starts.

South Carolina inbounds the ball and Uconn is on defense. But when South Carolina tries to pass the ball Paige intercepts it and starts dribbling down to the other end. When she shoots, she gets fouled and misses the basket.

She makes both foul shots so the lead is 54-56.

On the other end of the court Uconn commits a foul and the score is now 55-56.

Nika misses a three and when South Carolina shoots on the other end it rims out and Paige and a South Carolina player both jump on the floor to grab the ball.

Paige can't get a grip on the ball and South Carolina manages to pass the ball to Aliyah Boston who makes the shot and South Carolina leads 57-56 with 2 minutes and 40 seconds left in overtime.

Uconn can't manage to get a shot their next possession and South Carolina drives to the basket for the layup making it 59-56.

As Uconn inbounds the ball to Paige I see her quickly look over at me on the bench before continuing to dribble down the floor and shooting a floater that goes in making it 59-58 with a minute and 30 seconds left.

Aliyah Boston tries for a 3 and can't make it and Aliyah Edwards grabs the rebound handing it off to Paige who makes the basket on the other end making it 59-60.

South Carolina loses the ball out of bounds with 40 seconds left in the game making it Uconn ball. I hear Geno call a timeout and the team jogs over as he goes over the play he wants them to run.

After the timeout, they inbound the ball and try to get Paige to shoot the ball but South Carolina is playing good defense and they can't get Paige open.

There's 18 seconds left in the game and 8 seconds left on the shot clock when Paige gets the ball when she passes it to Liv, who gets double teamed. So Paige runs behind her at the 3 point line as Liv passes it back, with 3 seconds left on the shot clock, Paige shoots it and it hits the back of the rim and bounces straight up before it comes back down and goes in the basket making the lead 59-63 with 10 seconds left in the game. At this point the student section is going crazy.

South Carolina calls a timeout and the Uconn team is cheering, high fiving Paige as she screams "LET'S GO"

When the timeout is over Uconn is on defense when South Carolina tries to shoot a 3 but misses and Liv gets the rebound, ending the game with a Uconn win of 59-63.

Paige and Liv chest bump as the team runs onto the court and starts celebrating their win and cheering on Paige who made the game winning shot.

I stand up and start clapping as the team makes their way back over to the bench and Paige comes over and hugs me with a big smile on her face as the rest of the team jogs back into the locker room. The band is playing, and the student section is cheering, everything is good right now.