Chapter 56

- Behind The Scenes -

Author: Fun fact, I'm currently going through my finals and I haven't studied for tomorrow's subjects as I was writing this

Narrator: ...No wait, I don't think that's a fun fact, though? It's more like a confession of what kind of stupid thing you're doing

Author: It's not stupid! It's... amazing

Narrator: I can't believe you've said that. There's nothing amazing about it at all

Author: The thrills! It's exciting!

Narrator: ...hah... Why am I not surprised...

Author: Oh, and Lei's arc will end in the next chapter. Or more like that chapter will be an epilogue for her arc? Something like that. Oh well, let's dive into the chapter!

- Start Of Chapter -

[???'s Bubble Universe, 3rd POV]

*BANG*

With such brute force, the door to the rooftop had been opened rather loudly.

The sight of a panting girl appeared, along with a boy just a moment later.

Wendy: "Lei!"

Without a shred of hesitation, she called the lone girl standing in the distance-right at the edge of the rooftop.

At her call, Lei twitched before slowly turning around. The expression she held was the same from their first meeting a while ago. It was cold... or perhaps not?

Lei: "You're finally-"

Wendy: "Stop it. Stop using that facade. It doesn't suit you, you know?"

Using a joking tone, Wendy said to her as if she wasn't worried in the least.

Lei, on the other hand, stopped talking and gazed at her for a moment before sighing. Going along with her "play", she shook her head with a regretful smile.

Lei: "I know. I'm not that good at impersonating Nee-chan."

Wendy: "Right? Just drop that act. It would never suit you even if a hundred years passed."

Lei: "Is that so? That's quite a blunt answer. Though I do wonder how she was able to always use that cold expression?"

Wendy: "Huh, now that you've said it... I also wonder a bit about how she was able to keep an expressionless face."

Oddly, their exchanges were as if the situation they were in wasn't bad even a little bit. The tone they used was the same one from the time when they were talking lightly to each other.

Unfortunately, things never stay the same.

Even if Wendy tried to initiate a conversation with a joke-and it had been going well-with Lei, she herself knew that their conversation would only last this long.

As a proof, both of them had become silent. The air around Lei had also started changing. It seemed like she also knew that it was time for their "play" to end.

Lei: "Wendy."

Wendy: "..."

Her tone had changed back to how it used to be. Cold.

Lei: "I'm sure you've noticed what I'm about to do and the reason behind it. After all, you've already spoken with the woman in that room. The woman that..."

Wendy: "...is more than similar to your..."

Wendy intentionally trailed her words. But, that was an expected action from her. After all, the next two words were not to be taken lightly.