Chapter 71

--- Start of Chapter ---

[Nagazora, Leila's POV]

Hopping from one building to the other, I soon found myself landing on a platform amidst the floating rubbles which had slowly ascended toward the hole in the sky.

The hole in the sky...

It seemed like a black hole, at first glance. But I knew that it was much, much different. After all, the massive honkai energy radiating from it was already a clear hint.

(An eruption... not. It's something else. But what...?)

Instantly, something entered my senses and I quickly ducked. Easily dodging a being's scythe.

(These are made out of pure quantum energy. Quantum shadows...)

Grabbing its scythe, I tightened my grip which caused it to crack before pulling it toward me and punching it straight on the "face".

A loud crack reached my ears, but I didn't care and put some force into my other arm as I forcefully lifted it up and smashed it to the platform beneath me.

As a result, the platform also cracked. But not to the point it would break.

Without hesitation, I lifted my feet and smashed its head to pieces. Oh, maybe I put a little too much since the platform now had a bigger crack and was slowly crumbling into pieces.

Kiana: "Leila! A little help, please?!"

Looking down toward the sound source, I could see that Kiana was flawlessly dodging the quantum shadows' attacks while searching for a moment to counter them.

Leila: "Aren't you already doing pretty good yourself? Why would I need to be involved?"

Kiana: "Ow, come on! There's just too many of them to deal with at the same---"

I snapped my fingers and grabbed the sword that appeared out of thin air. Then, I threw it toward one of the quantum shadows whose attacks almost hit her blind spot.

Leila: "There."

It was able to pierce through it as if there was nothing there in the first place and stabbed itself into the ground.

But I didn't stop there. I moved my hand to the side, which caused the sword to tremble a bit before flying to the nearest quantum shadow.

Leila: "And there."

Just like before, it was able to pierce through its body with no difficulty.

Leila: "And there. And there. And there."

I did it a few more times until all of the quantum shadows fell on spot and slowly disappeared into nothingness.

Then, I jumped from the small platform and landed just a distance from her.

Kiana: "..."

She was staring at me as if saying, "Why didn't you do that from the start?"

But I shrugged and only snapped my fingers again, making my sword fly toward me and stopped right before me.

Leila: "It's odd that there are only quantum shadows and no normal beasts."

Kiana: "You're right..."

She nodded along before she lifted her gaze to the sky.

But suddenly, a loud roar echoed in the air, making the ground around us tremble with great force.

Not a minute later, a massive, winged shadow entered my view and was flying toward us at high speed. Only to slow down moments later as it landed in front of us.