Chapter 57

- Behind The Scenes -

Author: ...what the heck? No, seriously. What? How?

Narrator: What's wrong?

Author: Don't you think it's weird?

Narrator: Like I was saying, what's weird? Is something wrong with this chapter?

Author: ...it's long

Narrator: ...and so what if it's longer?

Author: This was supposed to be an epilogue to Lei's arc! Doesn't an epilogue usually have fewer words than normal? How come it's longer instead?!

Narrator: Are you bragging about your skills? If so, then it's not important at all

Author: No, I'm seriously concerned, you know?! How is something like this possible?!

Narrator: ...sure. Anyway, let's start the chapter, shall we?

Author: How world?! How?!

Narrator: ...and in the meantime, I'll call a doctor

- Start of Chapter -

[Kaine's Mind Space(?), Leila's POV]

Kaine: "...done."

Leila: "...I see. Thank you very much."

With a bow, I gave her my gratitude.

Kaine: "...but..."

Leila: "Hmm?"

Kaine: "Is that all... you need?"

Leila: "...Yeah. As for the rest, I'll handle it myself. Wendy had already done her part well. It's time for her to rest for a bit in the real world."

Kaine: "Is that... so..."

Leila: "...Hmm."

The things that had been happening in the universe where both Lei and Wendy got sent to, I was able to know everything about it due to Kaine's help.

(...so those are the things that Lei thought as her guilt)

A sigh left my mouth as I recalled a specific line from her conversation with Wendy.

Wendy: "Why... do you think that you killed Leila?"

Lei: "Because I stole her life. I stole her right to live. I stole her... soul."

The word "soul" made me subconsciously touch my chest.

I could feel my heart beating.

But was it really my heart? Was it not Lei's heart? After all, she was the one who had the real body in the real world. Not me.

So, the most possible answer would be that it was Lei's heart that I felt beating inside me. But...

Lei: "Still not my fault? Yes, yes. You're right. It wasn't my fault that she was locked down there. It wasn't my fault that Ray's sister was being tormented. It wasn't my fault that he... Father... did all of that to bring Leila-the one that had always supposed to live-back to life."

Leila: "..."

Another line crossed my mind and I could only stay silent.

What she'd said was correct.