Bronya's Special Chapter - A Different Past

--- Start of Chapter ---

[3rd POV]

*Bang!*

A single bullet pierced through the monster's head, soon enough, the monster fell to the ground before slowly dissipating into nothingness.

Lyle: "And that's the last of 'em."

With a click, he finished his reload before putting his hand beside his ear.

Lyle: "Lyle here, I'm finished on my end."

For a second, he heard the sound of an ice being broken into pieces along with some unstable breaths. But then, it soon calmed down and a girl's voice reached his ear.

Timido: "Me too... Their ambush is quite surprising, but I managed..."

His eyes widened a bit the moment he heard that particular word.

Lyle: "Huh? You got ambushed?"

Timido: "I did. But like I said... I was able to manage it..."

Lyle: "Good job, then."

A breath of relief left his mouth.

But even so...

How did they manage to go unnoticed by her? It was strange, to say the least...

Anyway, he shook his head to dismiss the thoughts and changed his intercom's channel.

Lyle: "Squad Leader, how is your situation?"

His question was met with silence. But, he knew that there was a possibility that his squad leader, Bronya, was in a busy moment right now. Hence why he didn't expect a quick response and stayed patient.

Seconds passed.

Minutes passed.

And yet, still no response.

Timido: "Um, squad leader Bronya, are you there?"

Worried about her leader's lack of response, she called her name. But after a moment, there was still no response.

Timido: "Uhm... Lyle..."

Lyle: "Hm... Maybe we should check on her loca---"

Bronya: "No need. I'm fine."

His words were cut off by the woman they were waiting for. At that fact, he didn't mind in the slightest as his shoulders relaxed once more.

Timido: "Ah, is that so... I'm glad..."

She said, followed by a breath of relief.

Bronya: "I was just too occupied by this... something... that I just found."

Midway, her voice had a hint of uncertainty. Lyle noticed that but decided not to point it out.

Bronya: "Nevertheless, it's time to regroup at the rendezvous location. See you all there in five minutes."

Lyle: "Got it."

Timido: "Roger!"

[Bronya's POV]

I put my hand away from my ear and fixed my gaze on the thing in front of me again.

It was a weird thing. One that I had never seen before. What's more, it was floating a meter above the ground.

Looking around, I noticed that this seemed like an abandoned lab. Perhaps it was expected to find some strange things in here?