12 years ago...

"Spend the day with me at my place. I asked Ama to make chicken pulao. My Ama makes world's best pulao. Trust me!" Adil said to his best friend, Ezad.

Adil Humayun and Ezad Murtaza were best friends from many years. They met in the college during fsc. Now they were studying together in the same university.

Today for the first time, Adil invited him at his place. Ezad had already met Adil's mother a few times in the parents teaching meetings. He knew Adil had a younger sister but he never met her before.

"Liyana is 14 years younger than me. She is my baby. My little doll" Said by a twenty years old boy, Adil.

"That's a huge gap" He smiled.

"Yes, it's huge" Adil laughed,

"But I like it. She is too young from me. So it's not a sibling relationship type thing between us like you have with your sisters and brother. It's different. She is like a daughter to me"

"What I have with Naz baji is called rivalry" Ezad said, both of the boys burst into laughter.

As they reached his house, Ezad accompanied Adil inside the living area where a six years old girl was throwing tantrums to her mother.

"I won't eat it" She pointed at the pulao.

"Why? It's chicken beta. It's good for health"

"No" She shook her head.

"Aslamo alaikum" The boys greeted together.

"Bhaiii" Liyana ran to her brother as her eyes found him.

"My baby doll! How was your day at school?" Adil kissed her cheeks and hugged her hug lovingly.

"Very good" She replied happily.

Her eyes found an unknown figure standing with her brother. She raised her face to look up at his face.

"Meet him. He is my friend, Ezad. And Ezad she is my sister, Liyana"

"Hello Liyana!" Smilingly, Ezad moved his hand forward for a hand shake.

"Aslamo alaikum" She gave her little hand to him for hand shake.

"Walekum salam" Ezad laughed at her manners. She didn't forget to tell him how to greet.

"How are you Liyana?" He leaned down at her level.

"I am fine. How are you?" She asked cutely.

"I am good. And what are you wearing Liyana?" He pointed at her pendant.

"This is a necklace Ama bought for me" She was excited to talk about her gift given by her mother.

"It's so cute" He laughed looking at the little bird necklace she was wearing around her neck. It was too loose for her.

"Like me" She asked excitedly. She wanted compliments.

"Yes, like you Birdy!" He ruffled her hair.

After that he called her the sweet name every time they met. Ezad's visits to Adil's place increased over time. Both used to study combinedly at his place.

Liyana grew up in front of his eyes. She was just 12 when her mother passed away. It was a shock for Adil and Liyana. Ezad was himself so broken on the condition of his best friend.