The temperature of the valley decreased drastically after a heavy rainfall that lasted for three days. The thick grass was blanketed with rain water. The sky turned black with all rainy clouds.

Winter had officially arrived.

The darkest time of the year was at the doorstep.

Zohal enjoyed the weather with her whole heart. She had forgotten the mistreatment by her father. She couldn't change anything even though she had tried many times.

She couldn't change her father? Could she?

No, so she had compromised with it.

She found solace and happiness in the smallest things, such as enjoying rain and spending time alone in the mountains. It was her two favourite things.

She found peace in nature.

She also loved her studies. She was also preparing for her exams. She was doing bachelors in accounting from the University in the main city which was at the distance of one hour from her home.

She was studying with the dream to change her life. She wanted to be independent and she knew she would do it. She was just waiting impatiently for her graduation.

She would graduate and move to the far away city of Islamabad for work. She would make her own life.

She was just 21 years old.

She had big dreams.

...

Zarrar spent those three days alone in his cottage. He couldn't travel to his office in the main city because of land sliding. He was stuck at his home and he was satisfied about it.

He didn't like to socialize much.

He was a lonely soul.

Standing by the window, he looked at the weather outside. The rain has finally stopped. He walked towards the table and picked up a case and a litter. He took a cigarette out of the case and lit it with the litter.

The cigarette ignited just like his soul was set ablaze.

He took a long puff of cigarette and exhaled the smoke into the room. After some time, the room was filled with exhaled smoke.

He sat comfortably on the sofa, draping a shrug over his legs. Placing his laptop on his lap, he began to work.

He was a dedicated workaholic.

Work was his only passion.

This was his comfort zone. He found peace in it. Cigarettes and work, it was two favourite habits of him which brought him peace and satisfaction.

He worked to survive only. It was the only way out for him, from his painful past. He had no other desires. He had reached a point in his life where he felt completely done with everything.

He was busy on his laptop when his mobile phone resting on the table beside him started ringing.

He sighed.

He didn't want to talk to anyone. He hadn't spoken in the last three days to anyone, and he had no desire to break that silence now.

He decided to ignore the phone call, but the person on the other side ended up calling him repeatedly. Reluctantly, he picked up the call.

A frown formed on his forehead.

"Where were you Zarrar? Why weren't you picking up my calls? I was so worried for you" It was his father on the other end.

"I was busy" His said sternly.

"How are you my son? It's been so long I haven't seen you. Come to meet me tomorrow" Ahmed Khan said with longing love.

"I am busy" He repeated with mere change of a word.

"I miss you beta" Ahmed spoke with a tone of sadness in his voice.

"But I don't" He spoke without displaying any emotions in his voice.

Ahmed was silenced for a few seconds.

"I want to see you Zarrar. Please come to meet me tomorrow. I will be waiting for you" Ahmed hastily hung up the call he didn't want to cry while talking to his son.

Zarrar shook his head.

He didn't want any drama but his life was nothing but drama itself. He was so done with everything.

Why can't they let him live in peace?

Unwillingly, he had gone to his father's house the next day. Ahmed's face was enlightened by looking at his face.

He was impatiently waiting for his son to arrive at his place.

He rushed to hug him but Zarrar took a step behind and raised his hand in the air to stop him.

"Please" He said cautiously.

"Zarrar bache itna yad kia tumhe main ny" Father said lovingly.

(My son I miss you so much)

"I know right" He wasn't interested in his fake love.

"I know you don't trust me but I can't stop loving you. You are my son. My blood. I can't leave you on your own. That's why I made a decision for you" Ahmed's voice took a serious tone as he spoke.

"And what is that?" Zarrar raised his eyebrow in confusion.

"I want you to get married"

"With whom?" Zarrar asked clenching his teeth. If Ahmed had decided everything, he would have decided to whom Zarrar should get married.

He wanted to know what his father was thinking exactly. He just couldn't randomly say that. This conversation had a backstory. He wanted to know it.

"Fardeen Khan's elder daughter" Ahmed was happy by his question. At least he didn't just leave in the middle of this topic.

"Her name is Zohal" Ahmed added.

Zarrar saw him for a second and then he burst into laughter.

........................................................

What do you think is the reason behind his loneliness?

He seems like a tough guy.

Don't forget to vote and comment✨