𝐎𝐧𝐞

The painfully loud chime of my alarm clock rang throughout my room

The painfully loud chime of my alarm clock rang throughout my room. Three months without that dreaded sound was enough to make me never want to turn it on again.

Nothing but dread filled my chest as I finally pushed the covers off my body. My freshman year of college was supposed to be full of excitement, but all I felt was the ache of normality ready to dissipate.

I have no plans for the future, I never imagined myself waking up in my college dorm room, I don't understand how I've made it this far, but I'm already here.

I shuffled through the dark room to reach my bathroom. I cringed in the mirror as the lights flicked on. My eyes are puffy, my hair is a wild tangled mess, I look like I just rose from the dead.

I absentmindedly got ready for the day, surprisingly, nothing brought me more joy than doing my makeup. I enjoy the silence, getting myself ready to face the day, and the best part, being able to push aside the thoughts that continually flooded my mind.

Grabbing a pair of grey sweatpants and a black long sleeve crop top. I examined myself in my full length mirror. Disgust crept through my veins. I wrapped my hands around my arm, hoping to feel my fingers touch. To my surprise, they did.

I pushed the feeling aside, throwing on a black oversized crew neck and my black converse. Tossing my tote bag over my shoulder, I grabbed my keys off my desk, taking one last glance at my bed, begging for me to crawl right back into it before heading out the door.

I love the walk to campus, my headphones blast music so loud sometimes I wonder if I am going to go deaf, but I hate the feeling of constantly thinking people are talking or laughing at me, music drowned out those thoughts. The anxiety bubbled in my chest as I aimless walked through the halls, hoping to stumble upon my class soon.

Small hands suddenly wrapped over my eyes, "Guess who!" Val's bubbly voice rang through my ears, loud enough to hear through my headphones. I pushed them off onto my neck, holding my free hand to my chest, "You scared the shit out of me Val" An innocent smile crept onto her lips as she engulfed me in a hug.

"I was so excited this morning I couldn't wait for your lazy ass to get up, but I'm glad you made it in time for your class, I'll see you back in our room okay?" She flashed me her signature bright smile before hurrying off to wherever her class was. I let out a deep breath as I finally found my class, pushing the door open and quickly scanning the room for a seat.

I sat towards the back, pulling out my laptop and notebook, already dreading the amount of people I assumed were about to file in. My leg bounced nervously as stared right ahead of me, praying the lecture started soon, the sooner it started the sooner I could leave.

"Would you stop doing that?" A deep voice spit out, making my eyes widen. I whipped my head to the side, ready to mouth off, but I was not prepared for the sight in front of me. A set of deep brown eyes stared back at me, his eyebrows furrowed as he analyzed me. His dark hair was disheveled, his jawline was strong and I could see him clenching his teeth. He wore a tight fitted black tee, he's muscular, the short sleeves of his shirt look ready to rip open from his biceps. Holy hell...

I snapped out of my trance, wiping the look of shock off my face, turning back to face the professor. "Didn't I just tell you to stop fucking doing that." This time it wasn't a question, his voice was laced with anger. Sadly, I understood the frustration from small things, random small things would set me off all of the time, even things I knew really shouldn't, I just can't control it sometimes.

That still didn't give him the right to talk to me like that, I finally looked back at him, the same angry expression was on his face. "Force of habit." I bit back just like he did, now I really need to leave this class.

He didn't say a word the rest of the time, and as soon as we were dismissed I jumped out of my seat, rushing out of the classroom.

The rest of my classes weren't so bad, the anxiety in my chest never left, but that wasn't abnormal for me. I finally made it back to my dorm room, swinging the door open and falling back into it as I closed the door.

"Welcome home sunshine" Val's chuckled echoed through the room, forcing a small smile to form on my lips as well. "I need a smoke" I mumbled, rummaging through my desk for the pack of cigarettes "V I swear to god I will throw them away again, what did I tell you?"

I rolled my eyes, turning around to face her, "Okay fine, not right now. How was your day?" I tossed the pack back into my desk, getting comfortable in my bed as she went on and on about her first day. Valentina was always a positive person, ever since I met her in middle school, she was a little ray of sunshine, and I've always admired that about her.

"Helloo, V are you listening?" She waved her hands in the air, snapping me out of my thoughts, "I'm sorry what were you saying?" She rolled her eyes, slipping her shoes on, grabbing her keys from her desk.

"I said I'm going to the dining hall if you want to come" I shook my head, saying I was tired and needed a nap. I felt bad lying to my best friend, but the last thing I wanted to do was eat in front of so many people.

Instead of taking a nap, I got myself up and dressed in black running shorts and a black long sleeve top. I threw on my nikes and put my headphones around my neck. This would be my first time running around campus. It made me feel sick to my stomach as I left the room, walking down the hall.

I hated feeling like everyone was watching me, or talking about me, how I look or how I act. Running helped push those thoughts away. I used to love running actually, at least much more than I do now.

I set off the second I hit the side walk. I pushed through, the music blasting in my ears to keep my thoughts at bay. I pushed until my lungs were constricting and my calves were burning, begging for a break.

I wasn't sure where I was when I realized my surroundings, it seemed like the other side of campus. I continued down the side walk, taking in my surroundings. The sun was setting and I felt proud of myself for how far I've gone today, I've been letting myself go for too long now.

My walk was disturbed by a familiar pair of brown eyes, he was far down the sidewalk, and damn did he look good, okay no. I turned on my heels, running back in the direction I came from, there was no way in hell I was going to have another unwanted interaction with Mr. brown eyes.

It felt like forever until I finally made my way back to my room, as I walked in I was expecting to see Val, but to my surprise she was nowhere to be found. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, seeing three missed texts from her.

Valentine:): Hey! I made a friend in the dining hall, we're hanging out in her dorm, I'll be back later tonight:)

Valentine:) : Where are you? I came back to change..call me!

Valentine:): If you don't answer I'm going to track you down using my FBI skills.

I smiled down at the texts, sending her a quick reply letting her know I was back before headed to the bathroom to take a shower.

Once I was ready for bed, there was still no sign of Val, but that was like her, once she starts she won't stop talking until someone kicks her out.

I pulled the covers over my head, the realization of my life settling in, making me feel uneasy, but before it could upset me, I let myself drift off to sleep.

🌸🌸🌸🌸
Chapter one done!! I know this one must be a drag but i'm so excited to keep writing! I hope you guys are as excited as I am.

Also I love Val, she is literally me in another form. I hope you enjoyed!

Word count: 1444.
Unedited!!!