Stay

Chapter 17: Stay
Tia

Today was finally Friday and I was getting ready to step out of my house. Before I was able to turn my car on, my phone rings and I pull it out.

"Hello, good morning?" I chirp, not checking the caller ID.

"It's just me, Tia." I hear Damien's voice on the other end, smiling to myself.

"Oh hey."

"Um. I'm going to need you to stay home today." He says hesitantly, inhaling sharply.

"Pardon?"

"I need you to stay home today." He repeats and I push my keys back into my pocket.

"Why? I have school today." I turn back into my house, walking upstairs.

"I know, I already called your school and they agreed to it." He pauses, something moving in the background. "There may or may not be an article with photos of us."

"From Wednesday?"

"No. From the day we were matching. Please just stay home for me while I settle things."

"Uh, okay I guess." I shrug to myself before realizing he can't see me.

"Thanks, beautiful. I'll check up on you later." Damien replies before quickly hanging up.

A few minutes later, a call from Lilian comes through and I answer.

"Bish, have you seen it?" She yells in my ear and I move the phone, putting her on speaker.

"What the article? No."

"Well, I'm sending it to you. That's hella messy. Who the hell was following you guys?"

"How am I supposed to know. We were alone in my perspective." My phone chimes and I open the link.

The headline read "Sister-in-law or Side Chick?" and I start scrolling down.

A photo of Damien holding my hand was the first one to show up and I bite my lip unconsciously.

"We weren't doing anything bad." I mutter to myself, anticipating Lilian's response.

"I know that. But from the looks of those photos, everyone else might think it's something more than that." Lilian whispers and I hum in response. "I have to go now. Later, love."

"Bye."

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈«

"I! Want to swing from. The chandelier. From the chandelier!" I pause, breathing in before continuing. "I want to fly. Like the. Birds of the night. Something something something."

"There's one over there. Be my guest." A deep voice chuckles from the doorway and I turn to see.

Damien was leaning against the doorway, gazing at me. He stands straight, walking in my direction.

"How did you get in?"

"Marinette asked me to get her earrings. How are you?" He stops in front me, bending down to reach my height.

"Good. And you?" Turning my back to him, I make my way into the kitchen, grabbing Mari's earrings and going back to him.

"Better now. It's good seeing you." He smirks before turning to leave.

Before he's able to leave, Lilian almost bumps into him, the two of them scoff before laughing and moving out each other's way.

Once the door closes, Lilian jumps me while laughing. I push her off, making a face.

"Rude."

"No you." I wink, leaving her in the living room.

"So. You guys seem pretty close. Wait, do you think Marinette saw the article. Oh shit." Lilian starts ranting, causing me to roll my eyes at her.

"Mari only reads articles about herself or fashion. I don't think she saw it."

"Well then. You need to figure out whats happening between you and Mr. Gray. "I want to be closer friends" my ass."

"Damien and I are just friends. There's nothing to worry about." I mumble, making Lilian scoff.

"Keep telling yourself that, Tia. You may not see it, but I know."