6 - the wolf and the cliff

monty fell asleep, and i watch over the group. it proves how little they understand about what these weeks to come will hold. the noises we heard today should've scared them into worrying about safety, but i guess nobody cared too much about being devoured by a radioactive ruler of the forest.

bec sits about 3 feet to my right, stirring in her sleep. she turns, violently, dreaming something that doesnt sit well.

i watch her, as she wakes in a panic, then gathers herself, regaining that certain calm persona she has.

she looks at the fire, pulling herself into that cross-legged sitting position she was in earlier.

"whats on your mind?" i ask, as she looks at me, not startled, but surprised.

"you're not scared?" she asks, and i nod slowly.

"scared, but no other options. we sleep here or we walk in the pitch black" i reply

"you dont seem too scared to walk in the dark" she says, and i smile a little.

"had to clear my head" i say, fiddling with a small stick, as the fire slowly dies.

"clarke told us that you dont like to talk about them"

"i dont"

"she didnt say anything else, but if she did, it'd be along the lines of that you dont let anyone in" she says, and im not sure what she's prying at. did she just wake up and decide to stir me up?

"you dont know me" i reply.

"i know, but i want to"

i turn to look at her, smiling, as she rolls over, falling to sleep, leaving those words to work wonders on my mind

-

i shake clarke awake, who looks startled, but i put a finger over my lips.

"what is it?" she asks me.

i point, laying with my chest on the floor, and a hand on clarkes mouth now.

a wolf, walks, sniffing, near the edge of the camp. a good 6 feet away from jasper jordan.

she gasps, but my hand muffles the sound. i take my hand off, as we both watch the huge thing.

its so much bigger than what id read. this thing could easily drag jasper off into the woods.

i think about my options. clarke wouldnt tell anyone if i showed her the gun, but if i use it, everyone knows. that needs to be kept a secret. so thats a no.

the other option is my knife, but me against this thing wouldnt end well. it glances at us, but trots away, once it sees the fire.

i point to the fire, and clarke nods. as the grey, white and brown beast edges closer to jasper.

the stick bec was holding in the fire sits in the same spot, and if i grabbed the end, its be a great torch to send this thing running, but if it doesnt, ill put a bullet in its head.

i slither across the floor, inch by inch.

a minute later, i reach the stick, and hold it up, just to see if it'll work.

the stick end is well alight. perfect.

clarke stares right at me, not moving at all.

jasper shuffles in his sleep, and the huge head of the wolf turns to him.

i swing the stick silently, so clarke can easily grab it, as i hold up 3 fingers, then 2, then 1.

as clarke raises her torch, and the wolf stares at her, i lunge for jasper.