8 - the savages

im up before everyone which is weird, probably cause of the restless sleep i had to endure

the only person awake is finn, who was on the last watch.

"rough sleep?" he asks, probably enduring my tossing and turning for the last few hours.

"oh yeah" i say, stretching my legs outwards, as i sit up.

"i need to ask you something" he says to me, and i reckon it'll be about either clarke, or my life before this.

"ask" i reply.

"im not like you. i dont think i would've jumped straight into that water for you. we could've both easily died dude, that wasn't a hidden thing, like the whole zero gravity in the drop. this was a huge chance mackinnon, and i cant tell you how scared i was, but now, sitting here, i wonder, what goes through your head?" he asks.

im insanely surprised. id expect this from someone like monty, some deep question, maybe even clarke, but not finn.

shows how little i know him.

"hard question" i reply, taking off my hoodie. the morning is quite warm already.

"wasn't supposed to be easy" he says.

"you're asking me why i saved you?" i ask, as i stand, and we walk next to each other , walking towards the waters edge.

"im asking, why did you risk your life for me? that water was so quick, so cold, so rough. i thought i was gone after you got out the first time, then no, you just launch right back in, and pull me up, and i know you went under for that" he says, as i watch the rapid flow of water.

"i know what its like to lose someone, i didnt even know if i could swim any better than you, but that was it. either i jump in or you go under. im not saying nobody else would, but i could, thats why" i reply.

"i guess i owe you one then" he replies.

"nobody's keeping count, but thats 2. i thought i said no more of that stupid shit" i say, as he laughs.

guess thats the hatchet buried

-

everyone wakes slowly, all enjoying the fact that we have freshwater right here, but we're more careful on the rocks edge, as some parts, as finn found out, are brittle.

clarke and i stand in the trees, as i tie some vines together.

"i think we walk the hour back to that motorhome, we should've looked inside it" she says, but i shake my head.

"clarke, 2 hours out of our way. at this rate, we'll hit the mountain today, then 2 nights back, getting back just before dark, thats leaving only an hour INSIDE the bunker. we dont have time" i reply.

"i think it's worth it, it looked airtight, there was condensation inside" she replies, tying her vines up too.

"we'll hit it on the way back" i say.

"guys" someone says to us, as we walk out of the trees.

"look" X says to everyone. across the river, far into the trees, smoke, coming from the forest. just enough for a small fire.

"we know nothing about the conditions down here, this isnt other people, this is the first time we've had space to look above the trees too" i say, as they all agree.

"what if it is people mackinnon?" bec asks, once everyone has gone back to tying up vines.

"300 years of surviving after doomsday? no way. nobody got to that bunker either, you heard the video" i say, as X teases her.