48 - the bedside

(CLARKE'S POV)

-

my bandage on my arm has just been changed, and jasper, monty, renee, miller and i were told to meet a doctor at mackinnons bedside.

nobody speaks, we all stand anxiously, waiting for the doctor.

the caramel skinned woman doesnt walk through the door, instead, a man of about 45 walks into the room and down the few steps.

the room lined with beds is well lit, a nice warm yellow instead of the harsh white of the concrete hallways and pipe rooms.

"hello, im doctor vie, you can call me alex" he says, extending his hand to monty, who shakes it.

"monty" the boy says to the man.

he moves on to each person, then to me.

i introduce myself and watch his dark brown eyes dart to the unconscious boy.

"whats happening to his tattoos?" jasper asks nervously.

on queue, president wallace and the girl doctor walk into the room.

jasper and miller stand on the side of the bed im on, monty and renee on the other, and doctor vie at the feet of mackinnon.

wallace and the other doctor say nothing, and alex speaks.

"let me put it this way for you. you were exposed to radiation all your lives, up until now. in the conditions out there, and in space of course, your bodies were just as they are now, but suppressed by the radiation. right now, theres no radiation at all, your bodies are healing tremendously, you're hitting full potential. sounds better than it is, but to make a long story short, you all heal like nothing ive seen before. thats why your small cuts, bruises, tattoos, they'll heal within no time if they arent too deep. jasper, your leg is almost completely healed, same as nathan miller's arrow wound" the man explains, in a soothing voice.

he points to miller, who pulls his collar down, revealing an almost healed circle wound.

jasper doesnt inspect his own wound, he just stares at mackinnon on the bed.

"i dont care. i just want to know if he'll live" he says softly.

"im not gonna lie to you. im not sure. i operated for about 8 hours. i had to take out some intestine, some bowel, close up arteries, put a plate on his spine and removed some of his lung and windpipe. he's healing well, but any of these can turn bad really quick. he lost a lot of blood too, we had to use most of the type O we had, but the sword through his back went through the lung, so some pooled in the airway. i did what i could, we just need to wait" the doctor explains, as we nod, trying to come to terms with the fact that just because he's here doesnt mean he's gonna live.

"at least he wont kill us for taking his tattoos right?" monty jokes, an awkward smile hitting the doctor.

"if im right and the surgery was successful, tomorrow or the next day, he should wake up. he's breathing on his own, but monty, jasper, you guys saw us take out the breathing tube, it didnt go smoothly, so we dont expect this to go according to plan. best outcome is that he wakes up slowly on his own, while we put some morphine in him" the man explains.

he looks around and leaves just as quick as he came, the president and other doctor walking with him.

"clarke" miller says, and i turn to face him.

everyone looks at me, already knowing what he's gonna say.

"what?" i ask.

"they found a body. it's X" he says, as i just look down at mackinnon.