11 - the rescue mission

"you gonna threaten to kill everyone now or you just picking at random?" bec asks, as i take a drink from a makeshift drum of water, made from parachute material and what looks to be bamboo.

"anyone who stops me from getting to jasper" i say to her, as she looks at me with her arms crossed.

"look at yourself nath, look" she says, pointing at the still water.

this is the first time ive seen myself since being here. my face is all cut, with a cut around my whole eye and a cut that drops down from the ring, exactly like bec explained.

its purple, bruised and bloody. my hair is rough, still swept back, but not done.

my tattoos, cuts, and stitches on my chest make me look like a patient of the physc ward.

"look what they did to you, with a gun, and lets not get into that, but a gun?" she says, ready to go off.

"you trying to tell me not to try and save jasper or you just gonna rip into me?" i ask her, truning to face her now.

"im here to ask why you're telling everyone you'll kill them. bellamy, that kid, wells. its like you've gone crazy" she replies.

she's lost for words. she's scared.

"im making sure you're safe. all i care about right now is getting jasper back. ill make it back bec" i reply.

"you think threatening to kill people is protecting me?" she asks, as i start to walk away.

"this isnt the arc. you'll see" i say.

-

bellamy, john muprhy, finn, clarke, wells and X meet at the huge opening of the gate.

i spoke to monty. he wanted to come, but i told him not to. i cant stop him, but i told him that he'd only be disadvantaging us.

we'll start tracking him up on the cliff, where he was taken, about 4 hours walk, or maybe 3 at a brisk walk.

we start walking, and i lead the pack with X. finn, clarke and wells hang right behind us, while john and bellamy hang back a little.

i have the machete, X has a long knife he got at camp. clarke, finn and wells have makeshift spear, which will do nothing, but thats not my priority.

bellamy and murphy have knives too.

they're up to something, i can smell it.

i suddenly realise, that ive forgotten which side im on. murphy and bellamy are obviously dangerous, with ulterior motives, but im just as bad. ill do whatever it takes to make sure the arc doesnt find out its safe down here.

instead of replaying this in my head, i focus on my surroundings, as we walk, and walk, in the midday heat.

-

we havent stopped yet, and i walk with X, bellamy and john.

"where's your wristband john?" i ask him.

"its murphy. and its in the fire" he replies, not breaking his facial expression from a very uninterested look.

"you're taking them off so the even if the arc thinks we're alive, they'll think we're dying off?" i ask bellamy, and he nods, as we start whispering.

"let me guess, all the hotheads did too right?" i ask.

"about 10 guys, the ones watching the border" he says.

"thats not enough, we need everyone, or at least those 2" X says, looking at clarke and wells.

he's right, if those wristbands were deactivated, the arc would believe we're dead for sure, or at least dying. we dont even know if they're still working.