childhood sweethearts || headcanon - reno

anonymous asked: Can I please request where Reno & Reader were childhood love birds and met briefly again from being apart for years because ofc ShinRa work with the reader falling from the plate with cloud then meeting again when they go to wall market before Corneo's men take cloud and the girls back he manages to find them and they reconcile their feelings but he's also trying to make sure reader stays and is asleep some where safe before taking off to the plate mission?

a/n: heya! your request kind of confused me - i wasn't sure if you wanted the reader to fall off the plate or not or what lol. so i've just written about the reader being in wall market and meeting reno again - hope that's ok!

reno's surprised when he finds you in wall market of all places, it's certainly somewhere he never expected to see you, let alone a place he expected to reunite in. he likely finds you lingering in front of the honeybee inn, waiting for cloud and aerith to finish inside, and is rather confused to find you there. he has such a holy image of you in his head, and it's weird to see his childhood love in a place like that.

he's hesitant to go over to you, he knows you're now working alongside avalanche, you're his enemy and he, yours. but you've never had an interaction with him in combat, and it's highly unlikely you the other members of avalanche described him in any great detail to the point where you'd recognise him on description alone, so he decides to risk it and approach you.

you're equally as surprised to see him there, as the last you'd heard of him he was working in an office at shinra, not hanging out in the slums of all places. you're not sure of the protocol for reuniting with a childhood sweetheart, whether you should greet him enthusiastically or demurely, but he soon takes that decision from you as he hugs you and presses a kiss to your cheek.

everything he's saying is just waffling, and all of his attention is on you. how much you've grown since the last time he saw you, now a full-fledged adult. you've grown into yourself, somehow more gorgeous than you were all those years ago. you still knock the air out of him with your smile, your eyes still twinkle in that way they do just for him, and your laugh, although somewhat restrained and awkward, is still the most pleasant sound he's ever heard.

with some subtle flirtation, he manages to convince you to follow him, although it takes a considerable amount of coaxing and a promise he'll feed you information about don corneo. he's overcome with a need to protect you, both from don corneo (as he doesn't quite understand why you need to know so much about him, and he's heard what a little weasel the man is), and from the looming destruction facing sector 7, frightened of the possibility of all the plates falling. and before he knows it, he's led you up topside, ensuring you're safe and sound before embarking on his mission, secure in the knowledge he'll be able to protect you now.