nine

"I didn't know..." Ezra commented right after I told him the situation. Like me, he was also very surprised upon hearing about his condition.

"It's fine, thank you for helping out earlier." I sent him a smile and he shook his head, smiling.

"I'm glad I could help, more than happy to lend a hand." He stated. I got the final piece of pancake from the pan and put it in the pile of pancakes on the plate.

I left one for Ezra and one for me and the rest are for George, I hope it helps for him to cheer up. I added some cinnamon and honey.

"Can you wait for a while here? I'll just check up on him." I said softly to Ezra and he nodded his head and hummed in response.

When I peeked at the living room, I was at the right time because George was just about to enter his room.

"George," I called out, he stopped in his tracks then glanced at me for a second then turned his attention to the door again and opened it. I walked towards him. "How are you?"

"I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused." He said in a low voice. "I must've shocked you."

"It's okay," I quickly answered. "It's fine, it's nothing, I'm glad I got back in time."

"I tried so hard to not break down." He mumbled. "I tried so hard to be less of a burden." He said, almost whispered.

"It's okay, George. Don't worry about it." I reassured, "I told you I got you, remember?"

He gave me a small smile, but the sadness in his eyes is still eminent.

"I made pancakes for you." I offered him the plate I've been holding the whole time. "Made sure to make it extra sweet!" I said cheerfully, hoping it will at least lighten him up.

"Thanks, Frey." He muttered, accepting it with a small smile.

"Frey?" I asked, confused. Oh, must be a nickname. "Frey is nice, nobody called me that before," I said in realization, chuckling. "Thank you, Joj."

"Joj?"

"It's like, George, but without the r, namsayin..." I trailed off. "You know what nevermind, kinda sounds lame-"

"It's nice." He said, interrupting me. "Thank you." He said with a smile finally entering his room and shutting the door behind him.

I was left dumbfounded.

I walked back to the kitchen to see Ezra already eating his pancake.

"Why are you smiling?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

Oh, was I smiling?

"He's okay now, I think," I informed him and he raised his eyebrows.

"That's nice, good for brother."

"Brother?"

"Brother cause he's also a Miller, get it?" He said with a grin. "You know what, I wanna befriend him, he seems cool, and I've always wanted a brother."

"Don't you have 'brothers' at school, the varsity team, or whatever?" I quoted as I sat on the stool across from him.

"Nah, they're only my 'brothers' at school, outside we're basically strangers." He said with a laugh, that kind of came out dry.

"Oh..." I trailed off not knowing how to respond to that.

"It's fine, I don't mind, I'm fine as long as I got you." He said that came out almost inaudible, I'm not sure if I heard it right.

"Huh?"

"I said I don't mind, I'm fine, I'm good." He repeated with a louder voice.

Is that it?

Maybe I heard him wrong then.

"After this, I'll go home, I didn't tell my parents about today, and they might be looking for me," Ezra said a few seconds after his last statement.

"Oh sure, I'll just be here, the usual."

I finally took a bite of my pancake after all of that, and wow it does taste good.

I hope George enjoys it.

George...Joj...

Well, I guess I'll try to get used to the Joj now, I initiated it anyway.

I hope Joj is feeling better.