Chapter 4

"She'd got so much better over the past few years. Why has she gone back to when she was sick? What is your Gifted Program anyway?"

Aria walked through the hallway, passing by different rooms. And she couldn't help but overhear the conversation taking place inside the infirmary.

She was about to put up the volume of the music she was listening to, but then, saw Namtarn sitting on the bed, seeming tired.

"As I have mentioned to you, Namtarn is gifted," Mr Pom replied to his student's mother. The subject of the two adults put back her glasses.

"She'd also had abnormal blood pressure since she was young. If not controlled properly, she may have a seizure and become paralyzed."

Even Aria was alarmed to hear the woman that she decided to stay but hid so that no one would know she had been eavesdropping.

"Mom!" Namtarn whined.

"If something worse happens, will it be worth it?" her mother shot back.

Namtarn couldn't do anything else but keep her mouth pursed in defeat.

"There's nothing to be worried about, I can guarantee," Mr Pom said.

"I oppose the idea since she was transferred here..."

Aria couldn't help the pity she felt towards her friend as she watched Namtarn. Her face screamed with sadness as the two adults debated in front of her.

As she decided to stop listening further. She turns the volume of the music playing up and stepped back. But she hit something— no, someone. Aria turned to her back to apologize and saw who she had collided with.

"Sorry—" she trailed off.

It was Wave.

He glared at her and continued walking away, rejecting the apology non-verbally.

"Jeez, is he still mad at me because of that day?" she asked no one and remembered Wave's face when she gave her "token of gratitude" to him.

Wave reached for the tiramisu cake, but Aria quickly pulled the plastic container away.

"What? I thought you were going to treat me?" Wave asked.

"Yes, but I didn't say tiramisu is yours. It's mine. This..." She tapped the other plastic container, having the strawberry cheesecake inside. "...is yours."

"But that's strawberry."

"And?"

"You're expecting me to eat strawberries?"

"Why not? It's your fault you said whatever."

Oh, if only glares could kill, Aria would be a corpse by then.

"Come on! Give it a try!"

Wave wouldn't touch it at first, but when Aria threatened him not to leave, he was forced to eat a spoonful of the cheesecake. Surprisingly, Wave liked it and didn't notice how much he had eaten.

Aria hid a smile and left him alone, with the strawberry milk on the table.

"But it's been days!" Aria lightly shouted as she watched Wave's fading silhouette.

Shaking her head, she walked in the opposite direction.

°°°

"I want to be a doctor. Not only to cure myself, but also think that if I can make it, my mom will be proud," said Namtarn.