Chapter 48

"Still nervous?" the spiky-haired boy asked.

"Yeah," the girl beside him answered with a shaky voice.

Her hand made its way towards her chest, where her pin was located. The Gifted pin. It had been quite a while since Aria had worn it, quite a while since she saw it.

She tried forgetting everything that happened there, hence why she buried that pin within her drawer. But alas, the wonderful and painful memories could not be easily wiped out.

Sol noticed she was breathing through her mouth and her fist was tapping her chest. He took her free left hand and stopped on his feet, bringing Aria with him.

The girl, with curious brows, looked up at him, asking why did they stop?

But Sol wasn't looking at her. He was focusing on her hand on top of his. His other hand lay on top of hers, sandwich-ing her hand.

"Don't be nervous. Whoever holds your hand will think you put them in the freezer before coming to class," he jokes.

"It's hard not to be nervous!"

"Why?"

"Because-" "Because I'm back in the class that I previously sabotaged." Aria could easily let those words out. But she was sure Sol would be curious about what she meant by sabotage, and he would eventually discover the Gifted Class' secret.

"Because...?"

"It's our first day. I don't know what kind of trouble you're going to get in, it's making me nervous."

Sol laughed so loud, that he caught the eyes of some students.

"Uno is the troublesome one. And it's not something you'll be too nervous about. So what really is the reason your hand is slowly forming a waterfall?"

"Hey!" Aria immediately took her hand back, which caused her friend to erupt into another wholehearted laugh. "I hate you." And she stomped inside the school building.

"Wait!" Sol followed her, running to catch up. "But seriously, don't be nervous. Whatever is bothering you that's making your hand that sweaty-"

"Sol-"

"-I'll beat it up so you'll feel better. Just face it and if it's about to harm you, just call me. Maybe it's not even as bad as you think it is."

From a glare, her eyes softened and a small smile formed on her lips. How lucky she was to have that boy as her friend?

Aria reached for her friend's head and messed up his hair. "That's for saying my hand is sweaty," she whispered, before running away with a big grin.

"How dare you?! It took me thirty minutes to keep my hair this neat!" Sol shouted across the hallway, not minding the different looks he was gaining from everyone passing by.

Aria looked back and he saw her wide smile before turning right and disappearing from his eyes. A small smile broke through his thin lips. It felt great that he made Aria smile, happy. Even if it cost his precious hair. As long as it was Aria, nothing else should matter.

His feet started moving in the opposite direction, still wearing that smile she had put on his face.

°°°

Inhale, exhale.

Aria could still feel how heavy her heart was. Not because she ran, it was still because of the nervousness, of the fear of uncertainty. What would happen if she opened the door of the Gifted classroom? Would they shout at her? Speak bad things about her? Throw papers at her just so she would go away? (That was far-fetched.) She didn't know. She didn't have the slightest idea.