Special Chapter : Permission

There was a free space behind Wave. A very wide space where he could run away from the eight feet-tall burgundy metal gate in front of him.

So... That was the Aromdee Residence?

Wave hadn't been there. He had seen a few photos of the house— mansion pardon. And they were nowhere near showing how big the actual house was.

He had been invited by Aria's mum for dinner, two weeks after the last clash with the former Director Supot.

Wave was unsure at first, especially because he didn't know what to expect from her parents. Would they like him? Will they shoo him away because of his social status? He had no idea.

And to make matters worse, Aria had been teasing him, altering his mind every now and then of what her parents actually were.

Yet despite the hesitancy, Wave still dressed up, bought gifts, and went on his way to the address Aria gave him.

The house looked like a mix of old and new structures. The colour of the paint sure said it had been built a century ago, while there were parts of the exterior just like the windows that were made up of glass that had been manufactured just a few years ago.

Before the actual house, there was a wide green lawn with perfectly cut grass and flowers of different varieties guiding the pebbled path towards the house's door. Light posts illuminated the pathway with yellow lights and the house lit up in white inside out.

Just by looking at what Aria had, Wave couldn't help but feel small. His family wasn't rich, he could offer nothing to her but his intellect. He even had to save money and work for it just to buy the gifts to please her parents. Simple bouquets of flowers and a wine bottle (the most expensive one) were what he came up with when thinking.

Claire actually helped him think of gifts with additional teasing. She made Wave beg, which did not happen as she said she was just messing with him. Claire suggested he give the ladies flowers and the father a wine.

Hence, Wave did his research and found the flowers her sister and mother liked and what type of wine would be fit to give to her father.

Then, he dressed up semi-formally for the small event. A light blue button-up on top of a white shirt. Dark jeans, and simple sneakers he found in his closet. He kept his hair the way he usually did and put on his signature glasses that he could never leave without.

Thinking how ridiculous he looked——in his opinion——he wanted to just back out to not embarrass himself to Aria's family. They might just laugh at him for being "poor" and might intervene in their relationship, push her to marry someone from a much richer family— what in the world was he thinking?!

The nervousness wasn't doing Wave any favour. He loved Aria, and he would do anything, fight anything for her. So, screw those self-belittling thoughts!

Wave inhaled a lot of courage and rang the doorbell without any hesitation.

Just then, as he realised what he had done, his knees wobbled and negative thoughts started emerging in his mind. There was no backing up from that. Whatever he needed to face, Wave would face it. For Aria.

But he suddenly wanted to run away after seeing a middle-aged man coming out of the house, wearing a white button-up, a black necktie around his neck, and black slacks, making his way towards the gate. His hairline was slightly receding, but there was not a single grey hair to be found. It was neatly brushed back as he kept his face from growing a beard or moustache, but the authoritative aura he was omitting could not be ignored. It was him, Aria's father.

Wave swallowed the lump forming in his throat and tried to deny the harder beating of his heart. He took his stand. He wouldn't run away.

Her father was then in front of him, a good two feet away, and the metal gate in between them. But Mr Aromdee pulled the gate open, causing Wave to take a small step back. The middle-aged man's eyes narrowed as he stared at the younger man, looking at him from head to toe as if he was analyzing Wave's whole life through just one look. The action did not help Wave calm his drumming heart.