Chapter 57

"It'll take her five minutes to come up here," said Chanon as he watched the woman downstairs.

"They had entered," Aria told them, counting how many people there were based on their footsteps.

"Korn, come back to the school with me," Pang proposed.

"For you to turn me in to the Director?"

"I promise I will protect you."

"What will you do? How will you protect me?"

"Four minutes," Chanon updated.

"Climbing to the third floor," Aria matched him.

But they were not helping. They were panicking Pang even more, who was already on haywire.

"First of all, you need to confess to the Director that you didn't do it through," Pang suggested, but Korn wasn't pleased. "And our friends and I will set everyone straight about the pain you felt. And you will be forgiven."

"Forgiven? I've never wanted to be forgiven! I didn't do anything wrong! I did what I had to!"

Pang remained staring at him in disbelief, while the two with tracking potentials tried not to get affected.

"How long have you had this vicious thought?

"Why? Why? Now you've started to care about me? It must take something like this for you to care about me, huh?!"

Chanon walked back inside, not being bothered by what Korn was saying. Aria was worried about everything. She was grateful that she could already tolerate her fainting tendency. If not, she didn't know what kind of burden she'd give them with all of that happening.

"Pang, we must go," said Chanon, trying to pull his juniors outside.

Aria was ready to open the door despite not wanting to leave Korn. Ms Darin and her crew were still two floors away from them. If they flee right then, they could escape without a scratch.

She was already peeking through the small gap in between the door and the door frame. She kept her ears toward Ms Darin and the officers she was with. If they came near, she'd have no choice but to leave with Pang and Chanon.

But Pang wasn't moving. He remained in a staring contest with Korn.

"You will not get away with this." Pang had given up on him. "Since you won't let me help, there's nothing I can do. I'll wait here until Ms Darin comes to get you."

Chanon grabbed Pang by his shirt. "You can't do this! If they see you with Korn, you'll be framed as an accomplice. You and Aria. Don't forget they're out to get you too."

"This is how it ends." The three looked where Korn was only to find him standing on a small platform on what was supposed to be a ledge of the balcony in the room.

Their lips parted in horror, their bodies froze, and their terrified eyes widened. One wrong move from any of them and Korn would fall to the ground.

He drank something that they could not see for a moment. It was in a vial, it was red. And it fell from his hand as soon as he was done.

"Hear my words. The Gifted Program is evil." Those were his final words before he let himself fall.

"Korn!"

They tried to catch him. They tried to hold his hand, even just his shirt. But they were too late. He was falling as if in slow motion as his Gifted fellows stared at him from above.

Korn wasn't scared as he fell, he was even smiling, gladly, before his head met the ground, and blood spilled around his body.

They couldn't move. They couldn't scream.