Chapter 27

The next day came. A drowsy morning for the Gifted students, thanks to the very late exam. A good more or less than six hours of sleep. And these regular students wanted to be in the Program?

Wave entered the Class I room, though unusually, he didn't hear a certain someone greeting him a good morning, just as she always did. Nevertheless, he did his best to ignore Aria's absence and took his seat.

The scoreboard was still placed in the middle front of the class, and he was still in the lead; nothing had changed. His gaze then went to the empty seats of Namtarn and Aria.

Seeing that both of them were absent from their seats was enough for Wave to conclude that they were together. Though there were different possibilities to explain why they were not in the room, he chose to stick to the first, as those two girls were never late than him.

So, the question of where they were was still unanswered.

His eyes then landed on another Gifted classmate, Claire sitting on the table in front of Punn. "Claire, where's A-" he trailed off midsentence.

Unlike the others, who got a maximum of six hours of sleep, he got less of it. All thanks to Aria bugging his mind. Ever since he realized how close he got to the girl, he became worried. Worried that he would keep searching for her. That he would be alone once again if ever she left. That was why it was better to keep his distance from her.

So, he changed his question. "Where's Namtarn?"

The girl shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't seen her."

Wave sighed. No matter, he shouldn't think of her anymore.

Meanwhile, in the school library, the quartet were busy rummaging through school files. It was Pang's idea. He dragged them even before they could enter their respective classrooms.

"What is it about this case that remains unfinished for you?" asked Namtarn, sitting on the floor in between Aria and Ohm. A bunch of papers were scattered in front of them.

"I feel that video was really weird," answered Pang, who was searching through the shelves. "It looked like a real scoop on a dead kid."

"It's just a video," Ohm shrugged. "They must've made it like that to set the atmosphere."

"Don't you think it's weird?" Pang asked suspiciously, still not giving up. His unsolved question was tickling him and didn't let him have a goodnight's sleep, unlike the others.

"What is?" asked Aria.

"Nicha's story ends with no death." As he opened a folder, a blue paper fells, catching their attention.

Pang looked down. It looked like those cards they used yesterday night to give out clues. But this one had the word special.

And with that, unknowingly, his score rose up on the scoreboard, bringing him to the top. It was a surprise to everyone. That all of a sudden, even though the exam had ended, a student from Class VIII managed to surpass the smartest student in school.

Still unaware of what had just happened, Pang picked up the paper while the three were still busy with their own papers. In the folder, he read the cut part of an old newspaper.

"Student falls to her death," it said, and an image of a student on the ground bathing in her blood; below the title.

"But Ms Ladda stopped her in time," he mumbled, mind suddenly at haywire at the sudden information.

With more questions raised than answered, Pang proceeded to read the cutout fully.

"In a suicide?" he mumbled as he read.