Chapter 35

Just a few moments after Aria was talking with her friends, she received a message from the Director. As if that was the universe's sign for her decision, she excused herself from the trio and walked to his office. It seemed like even the universe was agreeing with her.

She walked through the busy corridors to reach the Director's office. And when she arrived by the door, she had no chance to even hold the knob as the door opened itself.

Mr Pom revealed himself. He looked so tired and beaten. A dark layer was on his usual bright facade. This was not the first time she saw him like that. That started right after Wave did all of that.

Aria shook her head to get the thought about the boy out of her mind. She only nodded to her teacher as he exited the room.

Without more contemplation, she entered the office. The Director was sitting in his usual spot that Aria had to go there to be able to say the words.

"Chatmanee-"

"Director..."

It seemed there was much more to what he was about to say, but Aria cut him off, a table separating them.

The old man was wise enough to know that she had something to discuss; something she had been wanting to, his gut feeling said so. "What is it?" he asked ever so gently.

"You said it is possible to remove our potential." Her eyes were fixed on the ground, her fingers kept fidgeting with one another, and that lump was in her throat again.

Aria need not continue what she wanted to say. The Director knew what she meant by those words. "Why do you want your potential to be removed?" he asked, surprising the girl and making her look up to him.

"I..." Once again, she looked down, eyes on her fingers that were more stable then. With a deep breath, she answered, "I'm starting to feel that it's becoming a burden to me and my friends, instead of it helping me, Sir. My potential is hurting me. I can't listen to normal conversations without my earphones. If I take it off, all I could hear is chaos. I... I can't enjoy the silence, a normal life. That's why," she looked up at him and stared into his eyes, "Director, I don't want it anymore." Her voice was full of determination. And the Director did not fail to see that.

He stared at her, but Aria maintained eye contact to show her passion. The old man sighed. "Chatmanee, I know it's hard for you. But you can control it, I believe in you. You just have to train it," he insisted.

"I've been doing it. But there's only very little I improved."

"It is just the beginning, child. Don't look at your potential as a burden. It can be useful, it can help you lead the world forward." The director stood up, towering the girl over. He put a hand on her shoulder. "Chatmanee, listen to me."

°°°

Aria tapped her pen softly on her study table, her head hanging at the back of her chair to see the blank cream ceiling.

"What's my mission as a Gifted Student?" Essays weren't really her cup of tea. She'd rather answer multiple choice questions.

Her cellphone facing the wooden table coated in the colour white, suddenly rang as a sign that someone had texted her. She regained her posture and saw where the message was from. It was Ohm from their group chat consisting of her, him, Namtarn, and Pang.

Ohm: Ariaaaa
Do you really want to remove your potential?
Is your decision final?

Namtarn: Aria already said yes, right?

Ohm: I just want to know if she changed her mind or something

Aria:
I did change my mind