Chapter 40

The two girls knew where they were heading thanks to Aria's potential. They weren't just running, they were sprinting that it almost made them out of breath and needed to stop for a brief moment to catch it.

Aria could hear the two going on with their plans once more. She was supposed to be Pang's backup if things went ugly, but because of the exam, she had to stay behind to at least ensure that they would still be at that school the next semester. And besides, then, that they were done collecting pins, she could backup Pang when worse became worst.

"They're coming." Right after Aria said that, a little out of breath, they got to the second floor of the building the two were in. And just as she said, they met them in the middle of the way.

"Namtarn," said Pang.

"We're here to give you the pins," she said. Both the girls opened their hands to show the pins they had collected.

"Go ahead," Pang whispered to Wave.

Wave nodded and ran to Aria. He picked up a Gifted pin and looked into her eyes.

Had he ever done that? Look at that girl's brown eyes that deep? Get lost in that colour that looks like the woods that you can lean on? He hadn't? Why? Why did he stare at her like that just then? Why hadn't he done that before? If only he knew it was that calming to look straight deep into her eyes, he would have done it sooner. The first time they looked at each other, the first time they talked, the times they were together, those missed opportunities. But it was better late than never, right?

After all of that was over, he would tell her what she was making him feel. He would tell her all the words he was withholding, the words preventing him from feeling that calmness he was feeling when he stared at her that deeply. After all of that.

"Thank you," he said. And he said that so deeply that they both knew there was more to it than just gratitude for a pin. Thank you because you stayed when no one would. Thank you because you kept on trying even when I kept pushing you. Thank you for making me realise when I'm at fault, for making me realise that I did a great job. Thank you for not giving up on me. Thank you for making me feel that I was capable of loving and being loved. So much meaning for such short words.

Then he ran down. All of that just had to end. After that, he wouldn't care what everyone else would say, he would love Aria freely.

Aria followed. She ran, following Wave. She didn't know why, but her instincts led her to him.

"Wait!" she shouted as soon as she took the last step of the stairs.

Wave was just a few metres away from her when he turned around to see her.

"Aria..." he whispered, seeing her swallowing in nervousness.

Without more words, Aria ran to him and attacked Wave with a hug that almost cost him his balance. She hugged him tight like a little girl, not wanting her favourite teddy bear to be taken away.

"Wave, I'm sorry," she whispered.

Much like Wave's thank you, he felt like her apology meant so much more. I'm sorry for that fight. I'm sorry if I was stubborn. I'm sorry that I ignored you. I'm sorry that I hurt you. I'm sorry that I gave up on you. I'm sorry for everything.

"I'm sorry, too," he whispered on top of her head as he hugged her back and caressed her hair gently. He was sorry for being mean to her. He was sorry for being a jerk. He was sorry for hurting her. He was sorry for making the girl that made him feel special and loved, the girl that believed in him, cry so many tears.

Their silent moments and few words triggered Aria's tears to fall. She cried in his arms and hugged him even tighter. She kept muttering apologies to him, and she didn't know why. And Wave let her. He let her wet his shirt with her tears. At least he would make up for all those times she had been there for him.

"After everything, you will hang out with us, alright?" It didn't matter if Ohm would or would not like Wave in their friend group. He would grow to like him, Aria believed that.

"Mhm." Wave nodded, which she felt.

Then silence. Just pure, serene silence. They stayed in that position; arms around each other, feeling each other's heartbeat, hearing everything every single time they made a noise. That felt nice, peaceful. Like the world crumbled down on their feet and they were in their own new world. A world where nothing else mattered, but just the two of them. A world where nothing could hurt either of them. Where they were safe and happy. And they could add Pang, Namtarn, and Ohm to that world! Speaking...

"How's the love birds upstairs?" Wave asked, teasingly.

"Fighting," she answered with a smile. Aria felt him scoff, which made her smile even wider. "Also, Ohm said you should thank him for retrieving your pin from Claire."

"Tsk, opportunist." That only made her laugh, almost too loud.

But in order for that world of theirs to come true, they had to clean it. Wave finally broke the hug. He didn't want to, but he had to. And outside each other's embrace, they felt cold. It was not correct. As if they were two perfect puzzle pieces detached from each other.

"I have to go," he told her, once more, staring and diving into that brown eyes of hers.

"Take care."

Wave smiled. "I will." He then ran away from her. Away from his warmth. From his source of change. But the negative thoughts intruding into his mind were replaced with his plans after they took down the Director. He knew it would not be easy to do so, but he enjoyed that little planning of his.

Maybe a little stargazing with their favourite cheesecake. It could also be a library date. Or simply just hanging out in each other's dorm room. Now that was what was fun. He would make sure to know every detail, even to the smallest, to make Aria happy.

He rolled his eyes at himself. What was he thinking? He cringed and shoved the ideas away from his mind.

Aria watched as Wave disappeared from her vision, a weak smile remained on her face. There was happiness and regret stirring inside her for reasons she couldn't understand. She just kept praying for that day to go well for them.

The wind blew in her direction, causing Aria to close her eyes. The few strands of her hair free from her head danced with it. And when her eyes opened, she somehow looked... different. Her warmth was gone, and there was nothing in her gaze any more.

Aria ran outside and before she could exit the building, Ms Ladda stood in front of her, blocking the way and causing her to take a few steps back. Her eyes found their way to her right hand; there was a syringe with a blue fluid inside. Aria knew what that was. And therefore, she offered her right arm to the woman, whose eyebrows furrowed.

"You know?" Ms Ladda asked.

Aria smiled, slyly and yet, sweetly, and nodded. She knew. Only she knew. Back when she was treating Wave's wound, she heard Pang talking to Ms Ladda. He used his potential on the woman to inject them with the serum that would negate their potential.

Ms Ladda did her job. As Aria was taking her arm back, she said, "Namtarn is upstairs, Miss. Take care of her. I have to go." She sounded more mature and her sweet, cheerful side was gone.

The woman nodded, not minding her different demeanour, and they crossed paths. Ms Ladda ran upstairs while Aria ran to the conference room. She kept her ears open, making sure that she would arrive at the place before Pang. She ran faster than she was already sprinting. Fortunately for her, Pang had just exited the building where they were and she could see the door to the conference room.

Aria arrived in front of the door. She panted as her lungs were burning when she arrived. Her throat was a bit dry and some of her hair strands were out of place.

Nevertheless, Aria brushed her stray hair strands and uniform. She used a handkerchief she had in her pockets to wipe away her sweats and dry her. She made sure she looked presentable, especially with her Gifted pin.

With a deep breath and nothing else in mind, Aria entered the conference room.

Everyone's eyes went to her, but she didn't mind. The Director smiled proudly, and nodded to her, a gesture for Aria to stand beside him in the front, introducing her to the Ministry.

°°°

Originally posted: 02.14.22