Chapter 44

Indistinct noises become the background music to Aria as her thoughts consume her. People in the restaurant around her were minding their own business, talking about companies and work. There were young ones like Aria, but they either preferred to listen or join the elders to impress them.

Aria was none of those. She was just deep within her thoughts, playing with her meal. Her left jaw resting on the back of her left hand. Her hair was in a half-updo, then, just reaching an inch below her shoulders, resting on the back of her red high neck, sleeveless dress. She had her hair cut long ago after she transferred out of Ritdha High School.

Her father faked a cough to get her attention, but she failed to notice it. He tried once again, but his daughter's mind was floating in a different world.

She was still thinking about transferring back to Ritdha High School. Yes, her friends had helped her decide, but... did she really want to? Yes! She wanted to go back there and apologise. To make up for everything she had done in the past whilst under the Director's potential. But she feared that her friends wouldn't forgive her. She just transferred for nothing. Or would she?

Because what if she continued what her friend, Pang, failed to do? Bring equality in the school? Could she do that? Alone? But what if she asked one of her friends to transfer with her? Would that be a great idea?

"Ugh! I hate it!" Aria unconsciously yelled, slamming her left hand on the table, getting the attention of her family and the people around them.

Her eyes widened as she realised what she had done. She opened her mouth to explain, but struggled to say a word.

"I-I... I didn't mean to— the beefsteak was- is! Is! The beefsteak is great!" she said, turning to everyone in a panic. "I don't—I don't hate it. It's—It's good. Very, very good. I can give it a five star. It's perfect! The best I ever had."

"Aria," her older sister, Carol, called. "We're having salmon steak."

"O-Oh?" Aria looked down on her plate to find a, indeed, salmon steak. She slowly turned her head up to the waiter. With a forced, nervous smile, she said, "It's... great."

The waiter just nodded before leaving the scene. Her smile dropped as fast as the lightning struck. People around went back to their business; some not minding what Aria had done and some whispering about how inappropriate she had been. That made her sink in her seat.

"Sweetie," her mum called, holding her left hand as she was on her left, squeezing it. "What's wrong?"

Aria sighed. "I just... I have a lot of things going on in my mind."

"Like what?"

"School."

Her mum let go of her and started eating. So she reflected her action.

"You haven't been too stressed in school for too long. What happened?"

"Well, it's actually a different school. The Gifted Program in Ritdha High School has opened again, meaning I can go back there and..."

"You want to go back there?" her father asked.

Aria looked at her father, assessing his face. His brows were raised, but they were not the kind where he was mad. That one just said that he was curious if he was right about his guess.

She bit her lower lip, hiding it in her mouth as she slowly nodded.

Her father went back to his food. "We can arrange that."

"Don't you like where you study? I thought you'd want to graduate with Sol and everyone? Is there something going on with you guys?" her mother asked.

"No, mum, it's not that-"