Chapter 47

It was like watching a movie unfold right in front of her eyes. That was what Aria would describe listening to her old friends who were then defeated.

Their plan didn't work because of the jammer surrounding the school. She wanted to jump in and help. But then Aria remembered, she wasn't sure if she was welcome or not. If not, then they wouldn't accept her help. If she was... well, she didn't know that yet. But she wouldn't risk heartbreak, so it was better that way.

From her understanding, a student named Time would help them locate the jammer and they would disable it. But that Time didn't want to help. Hence then, they were gathered in—what she would call—their hideout in the school.

"D@mn it, we have prepared ourselves well," she heard Ohm complain. "Why does it have to fall apart because of something like this?"

"Why don't we keep looking for that jammer?" Mon asked, still not giving up. "We don't need Time."

"There's no time. Mr Pom will play the soundwave soon."

The defeated atmosphere reached Aria despite the distance between them. Her nails dug into her palms and her teeth into her lips. Their deep sighs were not helping ease her.

Someone suddenly stood up. "Hey!" It was Wave. The lump in her throat was back just within seconds of hearing his voice. Her heart pounded in a way that it was hard for her to even just breathe. It was heavy. It was weighing her down.

"Why are you so down?" he asked, hiding his cheerleader facade with frowning brows. "The fact that we're here together," his voice softened, and so as his face, "and have accomplished this far, I think that's the best."

The lump was still present, yet a small smile appeared on Aria's face. Her heart was still beating hard, but it was not drumming anymore. Her balled hands loosened, and so as her body.

"So what if we lost? We can try again. I believe that the victory will be ours someday."

How long had it been since she was gone? She never thought Wave would ever give such an inspiring speech, publicly, even. But he did. Aria guessed he did change—or rather, he improved in different areas.

However, the shine in her eyes disappeared. He was that open to them. He was that vocal to them. He was that close to them. All without her.

They had achieved a great level of friendship without her presence. It was painful that no words could describe it.

"Hey, are you the real Wave?" Korn asked, sparking chuckles all around.

"It's me, why?" His voice returned to his usual self, yet everyone could see what he was hiding beneath. "Can't I be the one who does the pep talk?"

"Sure you can," Ohm answered. "I'm just not used to it."

Claire agreed and added, "I got chills."

"A little shy, aren't you?" Ohm teased.

The notification sound Aria set for her cellphone suddenly popped. In curiosity, she took her cellphone and checked what it was about. It was a Twitter update from one of her friends, Ten. She and Sol were tagged, that was why she was notified.

But it couldn't be possible. Did she have an internet connection? But the jammer...

"Claire," she heard Korn, "how are you back on IG?"

Everyone suddenly sprinted to their cellphones to check the internet connection. Even Aria did so and saw she was connected to the internet.

"The signal bar is full!" Ohm exclaimed. "How is this possible?"