Chapter 34

The next morning, Aria woke up feeling a lot better than in the past few days. Her family date last night was great, albeit she got back to her dorm pretty late.

It was past midnight when she got back. She was very tired, nonetheless, acting normally, talking to her sister on the cellphone.

"Are you in your room now?"

"I'm about to come in. You?"

"On our way home. I have to hang up anyway. Good night, love you."

"Mhm, love you too." After unlocking her door, Aria entered her room.

But unbeknownst to her, Wave was listening. And his heart broke when he heard her saying I love you to someone he didn't know. He was too late, was he? He just laughed at himself, pitying and thinking how idiotic he was. And then, the girl who made him feel butterflies slipped away from his tiny, little hands.

After dinner, their parents left Aria and her sister to wander around the mall, just the two of them. Carol was a few years older than her. She was fresh out of college and was in her first year at her job.

And after being with each other for more than a decade, Carol knew something was bothering her sister.

"Was it a boy?" she asked, catching her younger sister off guard, flustered. She hit the bullseye, of course.

The problem was indeed a boy. Aria was forced to tell her sister everything. And being the best sister in the world—Aria's words—Carol was there beside her, listening as she glossed over the clothes in a rack, sometimes giving comments and advice.

After she let out everything and a few sets of tears, both of them forgot all their problems and just went to every store they liked, buying whatever they wanted. It was Carol's money they were going to spend anyway, so Aria did not think twice. They even went to see a movie.

That was why Aria was so happy before sleeping and even more so when she woke up.

She went through her usual routines: breakfast, bath, and walk to school.

But on her way down the stairs of their dorm building, Wave opened the door and met her gaze.

Her face which once seemed to be greeted by the sun itself, became a blank white paper.

Aria had made a decision: this man wouldn't destroy her beautiful day. She started walking again, passing by him as if he was just air. And Aria couldn't be mistaken, he called her. It was a faint, tired call, but she heard it anyway. And yet, she acted as if she didn't.

The class for Gifted students began. It was a bit gloomy inside the room contrary to Aria glowing in happiness. Her sister just sent her a gift, but she hadn't opened it as it was in her dorm room. Now, Aria couldn't wait for the day to end.

"We are entering the final part of the first semester," said Mr Pom. He sounded unusually blue compared to his usual self. "Today, the Director has something to say to all of you."

The director came in and the atmosphere didn't get any better. It became even worse, colder, and tense.

"All students, pay your respect," said Pang as the Student Head once the director was standing in the middle.

And everyone followed, rather timidly and formally.

"How are you?" he asked, gently. "The first semester is almost finished. Since the first day I met you, I've always had confidence in you despite some difficulties. I want you to continue pushing on focusing on your study. For those of you who are distracted by something else, snap out of it."