Chapter 69

Before the sun could hide on the horizon, Aria and Wave were already back in the school.

After the Director and Pang left the room where he had Grace captive, they hid far away, so as not to let the old man catch them. Then they entered the building to free their junior. But Grace refused, telling them they had a big night and they must return to school immediately.

Aria refused, but Grace assured them the Director wouldn't kill her. At least not yet. And if she had to escape, she could do it on her own. She added that the Director would suspect them if she escaped. She already put her senior at harm after revealing to the Director that she could possibly have avoided his order to take the virus if they found Pang.

That left the two seniors with no choice but to return to school.

As soon as they returned, they went straight to the infirmary so that Wave could take his medication against the virus. They looked for Korn to ask him for assistance since Mr Pom was nowhere to be found to ask for the drug, and they found him in a room with Mon.

"In the end, we should be satisfied with the life given to us, even though we didn't choose it, shouldn't we?" They entered as soon as Korn said that.

"What's with that gloomy question all of a sudden?" Aria asked, announcing their presence.

"Aria. Wave," Mon called. "What brings you two here?"

"Do you have a spare tablet on you, Korn? Mr Pom is gone and Wave needs to take his meds now."

Korn hummed and nodded as an answer. "Here." He took a small cup from his overbed table and offered it to the girl, who took it and gave it to Wave.

Mon stood up to pour water into an empty glass from the small table across Korn's bed. She offered the water to Wave, who thanked her before drinking the pill.

"What are you two on about?" Aria asked as Wave devoured the glass full of water.

"Just life."

"I don't mean to overstep or overhear, Korn, but I'm sorry for what's happening to all of us."

"There's nothing to be sorry about. We're all used. It's not our fault."

Silence briefly ensued them as they thought over what life had thrown at them. They were barely adults, yet the problems they were facing were worse than what most old people do. Not that they were undermining the hard things they had been through, but just by thinking about the rocky path they and their classmates walked, it was hard not to think that way.

"Hey," Mon called, "we are not that hopeless." Her smile sparked hope within Korn. At that rate, any positive thing would.

"What do you mean?" Korn asked.

Mon turned to Aria and looked at her meaningfully with a nod at the end.

"Are you talking about...?"

"Yes."

"Sorry, but we can't understand the language you two are talking in," Wave butted in causing a small laugh between the three.

"Grace gave Punn a blueprint of a machine that is supposed to stop the virus completely. But along with it..." Aria's gaze drifted to Mon for her to continue the sentence.

The sitting girl sighed. "But along with it, the host cell must be destroyed too."

"That means..." Korn started.

"The Gifted cells will be destroyed," and Wave ended the sentence.

The two girls nodded.

Aria looked at Wave, worried because she knew it was hard for him to lose his potential. "You don't have to decide now whether to use the machine or not," she immediately said to relieve him. "Once that machine is built, it'll stay there forever. It can wait. But if you don't want your potential gone, we can always find a way to get rid of the virus." She smiled at Wave and asked for him to return it silently.