Chapter 30

Aria sighed as she rested her cheek on her knees. It had been a few minutes then since Wave started his little storytelling. It was a heartwarming story. She was enjoying hearing it and she got to learn more about him. More than she had throughout the time they spent together.

But her listening was interrupted when a group made their way to her. She could see their knees to the ground; one was wearing a skirt while there were in school shorts. Aria looked up to find her Gifted classmates staring at her.

"Yes?" she asked.

Claire, with crossed arms answered, "Where is Wave?"

Aria's brows furrowed. What do they need from him? "Why are you asking me that?" she asked back, innocently.

"Because you're his only friend. And if I'm not wrong, you can find someone with your potential, can't you?"

With their serious looks, she had an idea of what they needed him for. "Why do you want to know where he is?" Aria knew it wouldn't be right if they disturbed Wave and Namtarn's conversation. She knew Wave wouldn't like to be seen in such a fragile state.

"Aria, just tell us-" Ohm tried to push her, but the girl retorted back even before he could finish his sentence.

"Is this about what Mr Pom assigned you to do Pang?" she asked, on the brink of snapping. "Because I can assure you, it's not him." Her every word was enunciated with assurance. It was almost convincing, but neither of them had any proof that it was or wasn't Wave.

"If it wasn't him then tell us where he is. That way you can prove us wrong," said Claire, in a challenging way. She still hadn't lost her composure, unlike Aria, whose eyes were pleading.

"Fine." She stood up and walked past them. She knew which building he and Namtarn were at. Her pace was fast, hoping it would channel her annoyance out.

The four followed her, even needing to jog just so they could catch up to her speed.

It wasn't him. Wave didn't do it. Aria would stand by that until he was proven guilty. And she was more than sure he wouldn't be. Because Wave didn't commit it.

Just in time as they arrived in the building, she heard Wave telling her friend to go back.

"Let's wait here," she said in the middle of the staircase. The four followed and she just listened to their footsteps coming nearer and nearer.

Until the two were in front of them, climbing down, but came to a halt when Wave saw the group.

When his eyes landed on her, Aria felt her stomach twist. Her heart started racing and her hands and feet started sweating. But her heart shattered when he glared at her and glided his eyes to see everyone.

"What's going on?" he asked, in a cold tone, so far from what Aria heard earlier on the rooftop.

"The Head Student called a meeting today," Punn answered. "Why didn't you show up?"

"Pang did?" But Aria didn't receive any notification. Were they lying to catch Wave red-handed?

"Namtarn wasn't there either," Wave answered, walking down further with Namtarn beside him.

The confined place seemed to suffocate Aria. She began having trouble keeping her breathing stable. As if Wave then intimidated her, she took a few steps back behind Pang and Ohm, grasping Ohm's uniform.

"She told me she had to do a math report," Pang said. "What about you?"

Aria didn't like what her friend was implying. So, she quickly answered before anyone could open their mouths. "He was with Namtarn the whole time," she said, eyes on the floor, as she couldn't bear to look at his eyes, for she had done a thing he told her not to. "I was listening to them."