Chapter 23

The day of the midterm exam came.

Aria and Namtarn were walking towards the infirmary where Pang and Ohm said they were.

As they entered the room, they were welcomed by their noise.

"Let me try."

"What the heck are you doing?"

"What are you guys shouting about?" Namtarn asked, opening the room divider only to reveal the horrified faces of Ohm, wearing a stethoscope and trying it on Pang. Both of them looked as if caught doing a crime.

The sight earned a cheeky and teasing smile from the two girls. They playfully took steps back while Namtarn dragged the divider with them, their grin growing wider and wider with every step they took.

The two boys panicked, stumbling with their words when they were just trying to say, "this is not what it looks like".

A chuckle left Aria, and Namtarn ended her playful act, by entering again and saying, "We're kidding."

"How is your experiment going?" she asked as the two girls walked towards them.

"From what we've learned so far, my potential requires two things simultaneously," Pang answered, reading his notes on his development paper. "First is I need to touch that person. Second is I need to feel that person's heartbeat."

Aria nodded, taking in the information.

"From the trials we've done, it can be concluded that if only one condition is met, it will not work," Ohm added.

Pang handed the paper to the mother of the group. "Anything else?" she asked while looking at the written information on the paper. Aria on the other hand, peeked over her shoulder to see what he had written too.

Ohm shook his head as a no.

"I told you. You should've told Mr Pom," said Namtarn. "He would've helped you analyze all the details and saved you from doing all this. See how little you got."

Aria nodded in agreement. "It'll be easier that way."

Namtarn gave the paper back to Pang.

"Why don't you want to tell it to him anyway?"

But her friend answered the question with silence. And it was alright. He was probably not yet ready to tell them. He took time to break the news to his own friends, what more to other people he wasn't very close with? She didn't understand why, but she knew she would soon.

"Okay, let's stop worrying about the potential," Namtarn broke the silence. "We should worry about the mid-term exams."

Ah yes. The exam day came.

"That's right. Pang, are you ready?" asked Ohm. He stood up and slammed both his hands on the table, failing to make a loud noise to hype his friend. "Are you ready? Come on! Let's go!"

"Yeah!" Even Pang stood up and raised a fist to show his determination.

The two girls started to back off, Namtarn planning another mocking that Aria felt when she gave her a look.

"One more thing," said the girl beside her, getting the two boys' attention. "Do your best, kids from Classrooms 2 and 8."

Aria beside her, nodded with a cheeky smile.

Playfully offended, Ohm and Pang pointed a finger at Namtarn and took their bags to attack her. But the two girls ran away with screams.

"Let's get them!"

°°°

The bell for the day rang, signalling the commencement of the exam.