Chapter 21 |Friends

Wang Lei was sitting on his chair when he heard Cheng announcing the presence of Feng Zhi. Wang Lei ordered him to come inside and Feng Zhi entered inside. He walked and stopped in front of him and put documents in front of him.

'These are medical reports of those kids. You want me to deliver it to you.' Feng Zhi said in a respectful tone and Wang Lei looked up at him.

'I have another task for you.' Wang Lei said

'What I can do for you, Wang Lei?' Feng Zhi asked in the same respectful tone.

'I went to the brothel last night to gather information. I need you to find a merchant and alcohol seller named Bolin. That could be his fake identity. Find him for me. That is your next mission.' Wang Lei ordered him as he told him the details of their mission last night and Feng Zhi nodded his head in response.

'Do you want me to go right away?'

'No, the ruler of Qi country is coming today. Stay for the function and then go.' Wang Lei said and Feng Zhi nodded his head when there was a knock on the door and Huang Dewei entered inside. That was his time to report on his duty. He bowed down to them as he greeted them. Feng Zhi greeted him back and looked towards him.

'I hope last night was not hard for you. Wang Lei told me that it was a success and you performed your role very well.' Feng Zhi said a little concern which was not hidden from Wang Lei while Huang Dewei smiled as he spoke up.

'I am glad that mission was successful. I just tried my best and did my part.' Huang Dewei responded humbly.

'Don't be humble and take credit for your work. Am I right, Wang Lei?' Feng Zhi said as asked Wang Lei who just nodded his head while Huang Dewei's smile deepened. Wang Lei felt uncomfortable about their interaction. He had no idea why. The only reason he could think of was that he felt that there was something more from Feng Zhi's side and he does like that.

'Thank you.' Huang Dewei said cheerfully and Wang Lei noticed how happy he got that someone appreciated him and that someone was not him. Wang Lei should have noted that since Feng Zhi was right that he did a good job but he totally forgot about it because of everything else that happened between them last night. Wang Lei felt envious that it was Feng Zhi who made him happy instead of him.

'Well, then I will take my leave.' Feng Zhi said then he bowed down and with a last smile to Huang Dewei he walked out. They were left with an awkward silence. Huang Dewei stood there while Wang Lei went back to read those medical reports.

The room was filled with a heavy atmosphere while Huang Dewei looked toward him and then his gaze fell on his hairpin. He was still wearing the hairpin Huang Dewei gave him. Why was he still wearing it? If he rejected him he should stop wearing the gift he gave him. But then Huang Dewei thought that he probably wore it out of respect that it was a gift given to him not because it was given to him by Huang Dewei. He was deep in his thoughts when there was a knock on the door and the person who entered shocked both of them.

It was Xin Ying. She entered inside and walked toward Wang Lei but when her gaze fell on Huang Dewei she was shocked. She did not expect him to be here? What he was doing in Wang Lei's office chamber in his personal royal guard clothing. Then it hit her that what if he was Wang Lei's personal royal guard. On that realisation, she was even more shocked and worried. What was he still doing? What if he tells about them to Wang Lei since she rejected him? What if he took his revenge on her by ruining her marriage? Xin Ying's thoughts were filled with concern and uneasiness as she walked and stopped in front of Wang Lei and greeted him.

'Xin Ying, Empress. What are you doing here?' Wang Lei asked in a respectful and soft tone and Huang Dewei's heart burned over his tone. He would never talk to him like this. Huang Dewei thought bitterly while Xin Ying looked towards him as she spoke up