Chapter 01 | The Beginning

Disclaimer: Everything used in this story, including place, characters and situation, are fictional and had nothing to do with fiction. The historical Chinese dynasty used in this novel is fictional, and no timeline like this exist in real history. It is all from the author's imagination.  No word would be published anywhere without the author's permission, and grammatical errors may be found in this work.

In his plain black traditional robe with a rapidly beating heart, Huang Dewei was pacing around his ordinary small room. The room was painted white ...a brown wooden bed was laying in the middle of the room while an ancient brown wardrobe was on the right side...a wooden bookshelf was standing proudly next to his wardrobe while right across the bed was a huge window which opened outside on the street.

Today was a big day for him...Today was his only chance to get back what has been taken away from him. As time was slowly passing, he was getting more and more restless when a knock reached his ears. With the speed of a rocket, he quickly ran towards his house door and opened it. He saw a palace guard in his uniform standing in front of him.

'Huang Dewei, you have passed your written and performance exam and had been appointed to be a Royal Guard at the palace based on your skills. You will be serving as a personal royal guard for the emperor. You shall be at the palace tomorrow early by drawn.' The palace guard loudly read out the letter written by the emperor as he let Huang Dewei know the results. Huang Dewei, sighed in relief upon hearing the results as he nodded his head yes. After completing his duty, the guard turned over and walked away while Huang Dewei felt his restlessness vanishing from inside him. He remembered why he was going there.

He was a low-level ordinary man who fell in love with the Ministry of War of Palace's daughter Xin Ying, but unfortunately, they got separated, and she was forced to marry the emperor of the country to produce an heir for him. They were heartbroken but Huang Dewei made a plan that he would apply to be a royal guard at the palace, and then find Xin Ying there and then they will find a way to run away from the palace together even if that means killing the emperor. But being Emperor's royal guard was also a surprise to Huang Dewei, but who cares? The closer he was to the enemy, the better it will be.

He was just excited to go to the palace tomorrow and reunite with the love of his life, Xin Ying. She also must be anxiously waiting for him, Huang Dewei thought as a smile spread across his face while, on the other hand, Xin Ying was sitting in front of her father, Li Qiang. She was wearing her Empress's traditional attire as she was respectfully waiting for her father to say something.

'I know you must hate me at a moment since I force you into this marriage.' Li Qiang started off the conversation

'No, Father, don't say that, please.' Xin Ying said in a soft and delicate voice while her father sighed.

'But trust me, I did it for you...for us...Once you give an heir to Emperor, you will get that power that no one can bring you down. You can always fall in love again, but you can't have the power the same as the Empress of the country. Do you understand what I am trying to say?' Li Qiang said as Xin Ying looked up towards her father and nodded her head yes.

'Let's get on our mission now, my daughter. Give this country the heir, and then see how powerful we will get and our coming generation. I worked hard all my time to make your alliance with the future Emperor since the young age when he was only six, and now it's time to see fruit for my all patience and sacrifice, and you are the only one who can do it, Will you do it for me?' Li Qiang asked with hopeful eyes, and a soft and concerned voice as Xin Ying nodded her head yes once again.

'Yes, Father, I will.' Xin Ying gave assurance to her father as a smile spread across his face, and all Xin Yang could do was sigh. Her father wanted power over everyone else, and Xin Yang knew and saw that all through her life, and it was fed into her brain that she will be a future Empress from a young age, but then she falls in love with the wrong person.