Chapter 40 - Maeva's Birthday Pt. 2

TW: Swearing

_____________________

Chapter 40

May 14, Thursday

Maeva's POV

It has been around one hour. Nate and his family has arrived, as well as Sienna's mom with a chocolate cake. Well now I have two cakes for my birthday. It was currently about five o'clock. The adults were just talking and stuff at the dining table, while my two best friends and 'boyfriend' were sitting in the living room, me opening my gifts.

"What did you get me, Kathrin?" I asked the brunette and pink haired girl as I shook the box that was messily wrapped in purple wrapping paper. "Well, if you open it, then you'll know." She answered matter-of-factly, leading to me rolling my eyes.

I ripped open the paper to reveal a white box. I then opened the box and got out a glass jar. On the jar had a black rectangle sticker, which wrote: 'The jar of nothing. Did you say nothing? When you were asked what you wanted for your birthday, anniversary, graduation or christmas, don't you remember saying "nothing"? Well this time someone heard you, searched high & low, and found you this perfect gift.'

I glared at the now laughing girl and gave her a fake smile. "Thank you, for this wonderful gift." I sarcastically answered, leading to both Sienna and Nate to start laughing as well. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I actually this stuffed animal." Kathrin spoke in between breaths, handing me the an unwrapped purple dinasour. "Eh, well, it's better than the jar of nothing." I replied, taking it from her.

Our laughter was interrupted by the ring of the doorbell. "I thought you didn't invite anyone else." The blonde boy declared, a confused look in his eyes. "I didn't." All of us stood up, walking towards the door.

"You know I can open the door myself right?" I quizzed. "Well, we're here for... emotional support." Sienna joked, a chuckle leaving her lips, as I swung the door open. Well... emotional support was definitely needed.

My eyes landed on a familiar bald man with hazel eyes. I widened my eyes in shock as my mouth gaped open. I tried to speak, but no words came out. Instead, broken noises escaped my lips. "Who's this?" I could hear Nate harshly whisper into my ears. Even then I still didn't say anything.

I felt my eyes tear up, as much. As I was trying to hold the tears in, I felt one drop of water roll down my left cheek. "Hi Maeva." The man greeted me lowly, his voice sounding awfully solemn. "H-- hi dad."

"Dad!?" Nate quietly shrieked beside me, his eyes widening as well. "What's happening here--" I heard my mom say, but she soon cut herself off, seeing who was at the door. "Remington." My mom greeted him, trying to stay as calm as she could. "Niomi." He said back.

Well my birthday wish came true, even though I haven't even made it yet. There was a moment of uncomfortable silence before my dad... can I even call him that? Before Remington broke it yet again. "May I come in?" He asked as nicely as he could. I looked towards my mom, quickly wiping the stray tear from my left cheek. She hesitantly nodded, not wanting to cause a scene.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned, breaking the silence that emerged yet again. All of the adults left the living room, where we were at, to go to the kitchen, not wanting to interrupt my conversation with Remington.