two

october was just around the corner, just a couple more days and the spooky season would start

october was just around the corner, just a couple more days and the spooky season would start. jake had been going to work in the afternoons for a month now, and the last couple of days he felt like it was gradually getting colder. so he took a hoodie in his backpack just in case it got colder when he had to head to his apartment.

it was a wednesday, pretty relaxed day at work and they closed as usual, so jake took his leave. but when he got out through the personnel's back door he heard a noise, faint but he was sure he hadn't imagined it. he walked quietly around the corner of the cafe to leave but he heard it again, from the alley that lead to the front of the building and into the streets. this time though, he recognized the sound, it was a cat meowing very faintly. there was the dumpster and behind it, he found a small kitten, scared and alone. jake's first thought was to take him with him, but he remembered that he couldn't take an animal to his apartment without asking the landlady first. so he decided against it for now.

he quickly ran to the nearest convenience store and bought warm milk, a short bowl and a small towel. he went back to the kitten, put the towel inside a big box, put the milk in the bowl and then proceeded with the hard part. getting the kitten inside the box. he wasn't scared of the kitten but the latter was scared of jake. he knew that it would not be a piece of cake to reach for it. so, for his first try he leaned his hand near the kitty slowly, and the kitty hid further behind the dumpster. fail. next, he got a bit of the milk on his fingertips so the kitten would get near to lick it. and it did, but jake forgot to grab the kitten and as soon as it finished licking, it backed away from him and out of reach. so he did this again just the same, and this time succeeded on grabbing the kitten. he placed it carefully inside the box and it started drinking the milk to it's heart's content.

this made jake proud of himself, and he pat the kitten's head lightly out of joy but suddenly felt a slicing pain in the back of his left hand. the kitten had scratched him. to be fair, jake had invaded it's boundaries a little too quickly so being the adorable human being he is, he apologized to the kitty, bid his goodbyes and promised to return the next day with more milk. the promise being more to himself, he would love to see the kitten again.

on his way to his apartment he had forgotten about the scratch, but before he could get out of the subway station a hand grabbed his shoulder and pulled him to face the owner of the hand. he screamed, earning a few looks from the people around him, and startling the person now in front of him. said person quickly took his hand off jake and raised both arms signaling innocence. jake recognized the person who had made his heart jump out of his chest mere seconds ago. lee heeseung, again.

"ahh that scared me! i thought i was being mugged!" jake cried out, reaching his hand above his heart to calm himself down. that's when heeseung could take a better look at the scratch on the younger's hand, it wasn't too big but it was bleeding. he didn't know how this person could walk around freely without a bandage covering it at least. "you didn't even clean it, huh?" those were the very first words jake had ever heard lee heeseung speak. he understood the girls his friend park sunghoon had heard before, his voice was comforting to say the least. it was so nice to hear, it made jake's chest feel lighter. he was taken out of his trance by another comment of the older. "i'm sorry i frightened you, it wasn't my intention" heeseung said, showing he was sincere.

my stomach feels giddy, my chest feels light, am i having a heart attack?

"o-oh um, it's okay, i was just a bit startled" jake laughed it off, as if his heart wasn't still going on a marathon. "come with me, jaice. let's—" "jaice?" "huh?". jaice? jaice?!?! "my name's not jaice. my name's jake" heeseung seemed to have swallowed his imaginary bubble gum, for he looked like he had made a terrible mistake. "right! jake, of course i knew. i just said that to see if you were paying attention to what i was saying. for a second there you looked out of it" and that hit the nail. jake HAD been distracted due to heeseung's very nice voice, so that made his cheeks heat up a bit. heeseung took notice of this and wondered if jake was catching a cold. it wasn't even winter though...

"anyways, let's go so we can clean that wound before it gets infected" and without waiting for an answer heeseung grabbed jake's right hand and led him out of the subway station, and to a small pharmacy near the uni. "wait here" he told jake, before walking inside the pharmacy, leaving the poor boy confused.

so we meet again. that was so unexpected, him talking to me. i had really forgotten i sometimes see him in the subway at this time. maybe he works around that area too? i'll ask him. and, jaice? that's hurtful, i know he didn't know my name, it was just a cover-up, what he said. he must think he's funny. but he's not what the rumors about him say. what was it again? "lee heeseung is rude and cold"? he's helping me, though he did ignore me back then. i'll ask him about that too. and omg his voice? the rumors were on point about that, angelic, honey like voice of someone so—

"ouch!" jake's thoughts were interrupted by a sting on his left hand, and then he realized heeseung had come back and was tending to his wound. "sorry, that was rubbing alcohol" heeseung apologized yet again. he apologizes often.

"no worries, and um, thanks..." wait do i pretend i don't know his name? would it be weird if i knew? but he didn't remember mine even though i told him myself. then again there's no need to hold a grudge for it. "lee heeseung" both said at the same time "i hadn't told you my name" the older pointed out, but jake had already thought about that. "i know, but i asked someone once if they knew who you were and i remembered it" jake said, a hint of smugness in his tone, making heeseung blush lightly. is he catching a cold?

"do you work anywhere near xbook cafe?" jake inquired the older, taking him off guard "something like that" was all heeseung answered. "you seem like a nice enough person to me. why did you ignore me back when i introduced myself to you?" now heeseung blushed a tad more than lightly. he was embarrassed he had done such a thing. "sorry about that," again "i'm not very good at socializing" and that was the end of his answer.

"i will let it slide if you agree to be my friend" jake smiled his obliviously flirty smile again. yes he didn't intend to be flirty, but that's how heeseung saw it, and he again widened his eyes, earning a chuckle from jake. "you want me to be your friend?" heeseung asked sincerely, and jake answered that way as well. "yeah, since the moment i saw you i hoped we'd be friends"

heeseung had friends, there was park jay, his childhood friend, and jungwon, who was actually his friend's friend, now that he thought about it. it's not that he doesn't like people, but making friends did not come easy to him. it was hard for him maintaining a conversation longer than needed with people he didn't know. this was the sole reason he preferred avoiding human interactions, no anxiety means better life. but talking to jake wasn't like talking to other people, and he didn't know why but it was even nice talking to him. therefore he thought he'd give it a try. having a new friend.

"okay, let's be friends then, sim jake" now jake's smile grew into a full toothy smile and he couldn't be happier. "awesome! let's be good friends lee heeseung!"

it was heeseung's turn to smile, he thought about what friends do so they could be a little closer. it would be weird if they called each other by their full names, right?

"heeseung hyung. you can call me heeseung hyung"

huh, jake could feel happier.

═══════ ≫ ♥ ≪ ════════
╰(*'︶'*)╯
here ya go lovelies<3
are you liking it? no? that's okay, thank you for reading.
-nova<3